RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has anyone tried the Gelid Slim Silence heatsinks in the Gen8?

LoneWolf

I'm opening this topic separate from the CPU FAQ thread because at one time, stix01 pictured it, but I have yet to confirm anyone has tried to test or use it.  Both heasinks are the AMD model, and 1U units designed for low profile use, with what looks to be a well-made fan.

Here is a picture of the 1U Gelid Slim Silence AM2 cooler.

IMG_5227_288_207.gif

Similarly, the Gelid Slim Silence A-Plus (which may have replaced it)

DSCN0419_280_200.gif

Can anyone confirm that either of these heatsink/fan units match the mount of the Microserver Gen8?  It is rumored that they might, but so far, it has been an unconfirmed rumor.

Edited by LoneWolf

It would be interesting if an AMD heatsink fits an Intel socketed CPU.

I agree.  I do think it is likely that HP's bolt pattern in the Gen8 is non-standard; I don't think it will fit standard Socket 1155 heatsinks.  The last report I heard of someone trying an alternate heatsink/fan, they could only use two of the four bolts.

This "looks" like it has possibilities, but we'd either have to get measurements (which might be possible based on AM2 socket specs) and compare them to the Gen8, or someone would have to buy one and try it; I was wondering if someone had.

Edited by LoneWolf

I just want to cite an obvious fact about the aftermarket heatsinks pictured above.

The way it will be mounted on the gen 8, the fins will be perpendicular to the chassis front-to-back airflow. It will also block airflow going to the power transistors behind the CPU (the narrow piece of heat sink).

gen8_microserver_motherboard_sm.png

Anyway, how bad is the stock heatsink?

There is nothing wrong with the stock heatsink, other than that it is passive.

Right now, this is a purely theoretical exercise.  And I realize the airflow changes --although with the active cooling, the air would be blown out the sides by the fan, to be extracted by the rear fan.  Technically, one could also use a cutting tool (e.g., Dremel) to cross-hatch the Gelid heatsink for better surface area and additional airflow.

While I tend to mod servers conservatively, a lot of us here enjoy modifying the Gen8 server to see if we may improve it.  However, before one even goes in this direction, the question remains:  do the bolt patterns of either Gelid match the Microserver Gen8?

Edited by LoneWolf

^ Apparently they don't match. The Gen8 appears to have proprietary mounting hole dimensions. The 65x75mm holes doesn't seem to match any standard Intel or AMD heatsink mount specs.

And what's wrong with that? If you have the tools and material and the know how?

:P

Also, I can't remember the term, but couldn't you grind down the existing heat sink, so that there is room and a way to mount a fan? :)