RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Both of my UPS's were off this morning

Rod at home

I've got 2 desktop PCs. And I've got a Tripp Lite UPS for each of them. Overnight both UPS's went down, for some reason. It being summer then of course we're using lots more electricity, what with fans running almost 24/7, etc. But the weird thing is that they were both off this morning. I thought one of them might be beginning to fail, but I can't see how both of them could fail at the same time. And what's more mysterious is why other appliances in the house, which have clocks on them, seemed to indicate that nothing happened. (e.g.: The stove top, if it loose power even briefly, will loose the time. However, the time on the stove was fine and correct.)

So, one question is, why would both Tripp Lites shut down? And more of a concern for me, is could this be indicative of something worse for them?

Both UPS's are Tripp Lite G1000UB, which I think I purchased at Sam's Club.

I turned the power back on, for both of them, and they've both come back up. On Windows it lists them as "100% available (plugged in, charging)".

Is it possible that both UPS devices were plugged into a power strip which was accidentally turned off?  It does seem strange both would fail at the same time without a power failure.

Good question, coxhaus, but no. One UPS is plugged into a wall outlet on one wall under a desk. And the other UPS is plugged into a wall outlet behind the piano.

BTW, since posting the question I got onto both PC's to find out when they went down. One of them went down this morning at 5:27 AM. The other PC went down at 5:58 AM. That's about a 30 minute difference. However, that particular UPS model wouldn't likely power either machine for more than 5 minutes, maybe 10 if the load wasn't too heavy. I have to believe that whatever caused them to go down is related, somehow. I purchased them cost to each other, about a month apart.

What do you all think? Have these UPS's become unreliable?

The only other thing I can think of is mains undervolt. We have a 230V system where I live and I've seen what undervoltage did. For a couple of hours after a utility transformer a block away blew up, we have 110-115V coming out of the outlets. Many electronics in the house were the universal 115-230V type power supplies so they were virtually unaffected, clock and all. My UPS's however which has an operational window of 190-255V switched to battery the moment we heard a loud bang. They only worked for 20-25 minutes before the battery ran out.

• Like 1

Do you have you UPS' set up to send you email when there's an event?

Which is absolutely a great idea.