RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Updating WHS and hardware

richlars

While I am not exactly a nube, I am not much of a Techno-geek.  I like plug and play.  As I suspected from the start, diving into the world of servers would be a challenge for me.

So here is where I sit.  I have a HP Mediasmart server which I upgraded the CPU and memory on not too long ago.  At the same time I bought a WHS 2011 upgrade which frankly I have been too chicken to attempt to complete after reading some horror stories.

I recently inherited a huge collection of genealogy records that I am scanning and wanted to make sure I had plenty of storage space.  A new WD 3TB Red drive is making its way across the country is I type.  I posted this question in another (almost dead) forum and got a rather dismal reply that made it sound somewhat hopeless.

So here is the question.  What to do first, 2011 upgrade or HDD install?

I wouldn't mind hiring someone to do this for me, but I am a habitual DIYer even when I am a complete moron on the subject.

So if anyone has some good suggestions and/or links on how to do the above I would greatly appreciate it.

All of my connected machines are running Window 7 Pro 64 bit

Again, thanks for any help,

Rich

Upgrade?  There is not upgrade as v1 is a 32 bit server and 2011 is x64.  I would have at least two copies of that data secure and working before clean installing the new server.  If the CPU is not x64, the OS is not going to install

Check some of the older threads in this forum and in the MediaSmart Forum -- quite a few have gone to WHS2011 after upgrading the CPU & RAM on their MediaSmart not long after WHS2011 was officially relased -- it's sortof a pain trying to do it headless (many have done it successfully though) but if you have a KVM it will go fast.........

The MediaSmart Board and CPU's are 64b so you should see a speed improvement just from going from 32b to 64b in the OS.

Like JW said -- it's not an upgrade -- it's a whole new ball game so you need to be sure you have backups of your critical data.  IMHO, (after removing ALL of the old drives in the MediaSmart) I would install WHS2011 on a 250GB VelociRaptor (or a  SSD that bigger than 160GB keeping in mind it's only a SATA II port so you're not going to see true SSD speeds) first then load StableBit drivepool + scanner -- check Stablebit's forums they have a procedure for moving data from V1 to DrivePool in WHS2011.  After you have your WHS2011 OS drive set up and fully updated then you could start adding your data drives and moving your data.

BTW, which MediaSmart do you have and what did you upgrade the CPU & RAM to?

Edited by Joe_Miner

In addition to echoing JW & JMs comments about it being a whole new install, not an upgrade, and absolutely agreeing that you need at least 2 complete backup copies of your data, on separate media, I would also add that you should be able to do the installation of WHS2011 by starting it on another computer that does have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

When you get to the first reboot during the installation of WHS2011, instead of letting the computer reboot you shut it down. Then you take the new WHS2011 OS drive out of the computer and install it in the MediaSmart and boot it up, at which point it will continue the installation process. You connect to the server over the LAN from another computer by browsing to a web page. I forget the URL to use, but you can find it on this and other web sites. If you want to try it and can't find the step-by-step procedure, post back and I or someone else will find it.

JM, any reason this won't work on a MediaSmart? I do realize it would fail if the CPU isn't 64 bit, but I can't imagine that's the case. What about the NIC - could that be an issue: i.e. driver?

I don't think that's the one for continuing an installation JW.

EDIT: found it: http://ipaddressofserver/setup/launch.aspx

Also found the article I used when I did my Acer H340 (the Acer H340 and MediaSmart servers are VERY similar): http://www.intensegamingtv.com/entries/11-Upgrading-the-Acer-Aspire-EasyStore-H340-to-Windows-Home-Server-2011-%28WHS-2011%29

And here's a link to my post about it on these forums: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4229-whs2011-on-an-acer-h34x/#entry43599

You're right, that's the connector software install.  I would also look in the router's DHCP table and find the IP Address of the server an make note of it.

Wow!!!  You guys have restored my hope in WHS!!!!!  Thank you so much for all of the great information.  As I was thinking about this after writing,  I was thinking that the old original Seagate 1.5 GB drive my be getting pretty old.  Checking my favorite site it looks like I can get a 250 GB SSD for around $100.  In addition to that I have a 2TB WD Green drive

The MediaSmart server is an EX495 with the CPU upgraded to an E8600 and the RAM upgraded to a Mushkin Silverline 4GB DDR2 (The cooling fins were a bit tall to fit and had to be modified just a bit)

Just now my grand-daughter brought me down my just delivered 3TB drive

I will get busy and get a SSD on its way and be studying up on all the good advice.  I just recently upgraded my main working machine OS drive to a 240 GB Samsung 840 EVO.  To do this I bought a cloning cable and cloned the old OS drive via this cable and a USB 3 port.  Would it be safe to assume I could use this cable to install WHS 2011 onto the the SSD when it comes?