RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TS140 Win7 installation to SSD issues

dude3516

Hey guys, new member here so be gentle. I just received my TS140 yesterday but have been having nothing but headaches getting Win7 installed onto an old 60Gb SSD I've had just laying around.

Sometimes at installation the the windows installation environment sees nothing. Other times it sees the ssd but refuses to install, and when I have gotten it to install it just enters into a boot loop/bsod scenario.

Anyone else have similar problems with this?

Laptop, desktop, server?  Lots of variables here to consider.  Quite possibly a BIOS flash is needed.

JW, we're in the ThinkServer forum ;)

dude3516, I would try different SATA cables. This sounds exactly like the kind of thing that happens when a bad cable causes intermittent connectivity. The best thing would be to borrow a cable that is currently working in another computer.

So I was able to get windows installed by switching from AHCI to IDE. Not going to lose much sleep over that. I still have instances where cold boot doesn't detect SSD. I've tried a bios flash and swapping data cables but still no joy. I'll keep the thread posted with what I find. 

It's from an old build of mine. Probably in use for 2-2.5 years. It tests fine but I'm thinking you may be right. At any rate if I can't get consistent booting from it I'll replace it with a 1Tb standard drive and keep the thread updated. 

Have you tried a different SATA port on the mobo?

Yes, I changed port and sata cable when I swapped out. The drive does fine once booted. It's currently installing 135 updates and seems to be handling it just peachy keen. 

OK. Fingers crossed I got this. I noticed that when my machine went into it's boot loops it didn't even show a "Media disconnected" error that you would expect from trying to boot from an HDD that wasn't being seen. Checked my BIOs and primary boot sequence was as I had set it before the flash. I checked Error Boot Sequence and Automatic Boot Sequence and there it was, both with the NIC at the top. I removed the NIC from the sequence in booth and have had a good 10 restarts with no issues. Don't mind having no NIC for boot sequence as this will be an HTPC/Media Server in my living room. I suspect just moving it to the bottom of the list would have the same results and I'll test later. 

Hopefully this is useful to someone else. Thanks for the suggestions guys. As always I find it most beneficial to just talk through my problems. 

You don't really need to delete the NIC boot option, just make sure the SSD is the first boot option.