RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Quick stern warning for DriveBender + Stablebit Scanner Users

revengineer

Hi,

just wanted to post a quick warning: Just installed the latest Stablebit Scanner 2.5.0 beta and after that my DriveBender pool went offline. I ran into these problems with Scanner v2.4.0 as well The new issue is though that uninstalling the scanner beta does not fix the issue. At this point my server is fubared and will likely need a recovery this evening. 

Lesson learned: If you are a Drivebender user stick with Scanner 2.3.2. This is the latest version that still works with Drivebender.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• revengineer

• Poppapete

Could go both ways. As both products were never meant nor thoroughly tested to run together, the version of Drive Bender being used could also be of significance.

My intention was not to push blame on any one product but to simply point out the continued incompatibility. In this case I tested v2.5.0 beta with Drive Bender v2, but I had the same issue with v2.4.0 final and Drive Bender v1. So this is a longer standing issue, which makes me think that nothing will be done about it.

I am not sure how scanner takes control of the drives. I noticed before I shut my server down that a number of disks were no longer available under disk management. Obviously, if the system can't seethe drives, neither can Drive Bender.

I do point out that Drive Bender works well with other low-level disk access programs such as Perfectdisk and Hard Disk Sentinel. Again, I do not know why that is. It's just an observation.

The main point though is that Scanner v 2.3.2 works well and I have had not issues running this version with Drive Bender v1 and v2. So I recommend sticking with this previous version.

For a while now, I've been itching to get Scanner and use it with Drive Bender. But it's the uncertainties such as this that's preventing me from pursuing it. Thanks for the heads up.

Is Scanner trying to scan the DriveBender Pool? If so, what if you configured it so it ignores the DB Pool and only scans the discrete drives that are part of the pool - that's all you really care about anyway.

Oj88, as I said, use v2.3.2. Have been running this for over a year with dB without issues.

Ikon, the issue I seem to be having is that just starting the scanner service janks my USB drives offline. I will need to test in a vm setup to see what is at fault.

In the meantime, backup restored, all working again.

I, too, have problems with Scanner and my USB drives, specifically the ones attached to my WD USB3 card. I've done some work on trying to isolate the issue, but I haven't had as much time to devote to it as I would like.

I, too, have problems with Scanner and my USB drives, specifically the ones attached to my WD USB3 card. I've done some work on trying to isolate the issue, but I haven't had as much time to devote to it as I would like.

Bingo, this sounds like my setup: 2 sansdigital usb3 enclosures on wd usb3 card. That indicates then that the problem is with the hardware and that it's not a an issue with DriveBender.

Have you brought this up with Alex? I reported my problems a year ago, but apparently the only solution at the time was to let covecube poke around in my server and that's a no no. Your findings nail this down and this should be solvable.

Drashna, any way to pursue this without logging into our servers?

I have, and Drashna has been trying to help nail it down as well. But, like I said, I haven't been able to devote as much time to it as I would like. Also, it's on my production server, so that restricts things somewhat as well. I may have to set up a test server to try to get more data for Alex to work with.