RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fresh WS2012E R2 install with errors in the health report

grit

After having more problems with the connector install in WHS2011, I was giving WS2012E R2 a try again. I've installed the server software, applied all drivers (intel chipset, etc), and done all of the windows updates (including today's). After I rebooted and generated a health report, I have errors I've never been able to identify or fix, each time I've installed WS2012E R2. I have a few other warnings, like still having the server folders on the main drive, but even when I've fixed those in the past, they don't affect these errors. I've not connected ANY client computers to the server.

I've scoured the internet and none of the "regular" solutions seem to apply to my case.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. 

- Garrett

Critical Errors in Event Logs in Last 24 Hours    DFSR

Event ID: 3221226674

The DFS Replication service failed to contact domain controller to access
configuration information. Replication is stopped. The service will try again
during the next configuration polling cycle, which will occur in 60 minutes.
This event can be caused by TCP/IP connectivity, firewall, Active Directory
Domain Services, or DNS issues.

Additional Information:

Error: 160 (One or more arguments are not correct.) Last occurrence: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:38:51 PM Total occurrences: 1              DNS

Event ID: 2147487661

The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed. Last occurrence: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:38:40 PM Total occurrences: 1              ADWS

Event ID: 3221226674

This computer is now hosting the specified directory instance, but Active Directory Web Services could not service it. Active Directory Web Services will retry this operation periodically.

Directory instance: NTDS

Directory instance LDAP port: 389

Directory instance SSL port: 636 Last occurrence: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:38:35 PM Total occurrences: 1              NTDS General

Event ID: 2147486534

The security of this directory server can be significantly enhanced by configuring the server to reject SASL (Negotiate,
Kerberos, NTLM, or Digest) LDAP binds that do not request signing (integrity verification) and LDAP simple binds that
are performed on a clear text (non-SSL/TLS-encrypted) connection. Even if no clients are using such binds,
configuring the server to reject them will improve the security of this server.

Some clients may currently be relying on unsigned SASL binds or LDAP simple binds over a non-SSL/TLS connection,
and will stop working if this configuration change is made. To assist in identifying these clients, if such binds occur this
directory server will log a summary event once every 24 hours indicating how many such binds
occurred. You are encouraged to configure those clients to not use such binds. Once no such events are observed
for an extended period, it is recommended that you configure the server to reject such binds.

For more details and information on how to make this configuration change to the server, please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87923.

You can enable additional logging to log an event each time a client makes such a bind, including
information on which client made the bind. To do so, please raise the setting for the "LDAP Interface Events" event logging category
to level 2 or higher. Last occurrence: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:38:28 PM Total occurrences: 1              NTDS ISAM

Event ID: 507

NTDS (564) NTDSA: A request to read from the file "C:\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit" at offset 6717440 (0x0000000000668000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (23 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem. Last occurrence: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:27:32 PM

Most of the errors seem to relate to networking. In Device Manager, are there any issues with the NIC(s)? Have you done an IPCONFIG to see if the server has proper IP addresses for all the NICs?

DFS Replication.  Unless you've setup DFS, it's not going to work.

ADDS Sync.  Nothing for you to sync with, unless you have another DC in the mix.

If your goal is to remove all errors form the Event Logs, you have a lifetime of work ahead of you.  That will never happen.  However, if these specific errors are causing issues then yes you do need to resolve them.

• Like 1

You cannot install the OS without it being a domain.  The clients, however, do not have to join that domain in order to use the backup feature.

I have not installed Server 2012 Essentials but I have Server 2012 standard running without a domain.

That  you can do, but not Essentials - it insists on being a DC.