RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server 2011 and 4 TB drives

coxhaus

I don't believe Disk 0, or not Disk 0, matters for boot sequence any more. You set the boot sequence in the BIOS and you're done.

Why would adding the 4 TB drive specifically change the added drive to disk 0.  When I installed WHS 2011 onto the smaller drive which is the boot drive it was the Disk 0.  After installing WHS2011 I added the 4 TB drive and the first thing WHS 2011 did was to switch disk drives by applying important updates and requiring a reboot which then switched the order of the drives.  Prior to adding the drive I had manually gone in and applied all updates. Any ideas?

I just noticed not only was the disk 0 changed but the BIOS on the LSI 9240-9i card was turned on.  I wonder if there is something with the 4 TB drive which requires the BIOS being turned on.

Have a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251

From what it says, disk numbering is not consistent, and can actually change from one bootup to the next. Specifically, it says that disk numbers may not match SATA channel numbers. IOW, it's inconsistent because disk enumeration is timing dependent and can vary from bootup to bootup.

If your drives are actually enumerating consistently between bootups, it seems likely that it boils down to which SATA Channels the drives are connected to. One way to test it would be to swap SATA cables on the mobo: i.e. on the motherboard, connect the new drive to the SATA port that the boot drive is currently connected to and the boot drive to the port the new drive is currently connected to. Be aware, you may have to go into the BIOS and reselect which disk is the boot drive.

The boot drive (small drive) is connected to SATA 0 on the proprietary LSI SATA cable plugged into the LSI 9240-8i RAID card.  I did try to switch SATA cables but disk 0 stayed with the 4 TB drive so I switched them back.  I think it must have something to with the large 4 TB drive or newer faster SATA interface.

Edited by coxhaus

Well, like I said (and the article too), it really doesn't matter anymore. I have to say, I basically don't even look at disk numbering - it's buried way down under the hood these days, so I don't really care about it.

I think it's more to do with the controller. I have the same issue with my M1015's. And it drives me up a wall. I may be "slightly" OCD though. :)

What? Just because I have all my disks mounted to ... well folder paths indicating their slot number in my Norco? And in Scanner, are listed by drive and bay. :)

I like keeping things very, very organized. :)