RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server 2011 and 4 TB drives

coxhaus

I added my new 4 TB drive in Home Server 2011.  When I bring disk manger up it wants to brand the drive either mbr or GPT.  My thoughts are use GPT but the thing is in disk manager the new 4 TB is showing up as Disk 0.  I thought Disk 0 is the boot drive. Is that old school?  If I use mbr I think maybe I will not be able to use all of the drive space.  How are you guys defining your 4 TB drives.  Can you look and see if they are disk 0?  I don't want to end up not being able to boot off the original Seagate 500 GB drive.

I just realized using disk manager is not the Home Sever way.  I opened the dashboard, selected the alert for the new hard drive.  I then selected format for the new hard drive.  We will see if it all works when Home Server finishes.  I guess worst case is, I will need to reinstall.

Using the Dashboard worked great adding the 4 TB drive.  It created 2 logical drives under 2 TB so they can be backed up.  I have rebooted and all still works with the new drives.  Making the new drive disk 0 did not have any affect on which is the boot drive.  I guess I can just keep adding 4 TB drives as I run out of space.  Or until I run out of drive letters.

Disk Manager is the way to go if you want to use these for storage. Bring them in as GPT drives and not MBR and WHS will use them as as 4 TB drives.

It turns out if you use the dashboard in Home Server 2011 it does exactly what you said above. It is so easy you just let the dashboard handle it.  When you tell dashboard to format the blank drive it converts it to 2 GPT partitions and formats both and assigns drive letters with one command.  It is so easy.  I was going to do it the Server 2008 way but with disk manger and all the steps manually but using the dashboard is easier like it should be in Home Server 2011. Using dashboard there is only one command, format and the system just handles the rest and you are ready to go.

Edited by coxhaus

All true, but you do end up with 2 drive letters. If you want to use all 4TB as a single drive letter you need to use Disk Manager.

I only use Disk Management in Server Manager to add drives to WHS2011.  This will show you how to add drives > 2TB to WHS2011 using Disk Management:

Here's another video how-to

When using multiple volumes on the same physical drive, be aware that duplication in drive pooling software will not protect you.

• Like 1

When using multiple volumes on the same physical drive, be aware that duplication in drive pooling software will not protect you.

A good point. I mean, duplication will protect you from most sector or cluster failures on a drive, but certainly not if the drive itself fails.

I watched both of those videos and neither one made the new added disk 0. Disk0 stayed the system disk.  When I added my 4 TB disk it became disk0 changed by Microsoft.  The boot drive became disk1. Strange it did not happen on the videos.