RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2 Routers on my network. Need help setup IP and DNS.

doliveira

Hi all,

I have a small office and im setting up my network, and i need help and advices on 3 questions related with the best way to setup the Default Gateway and DNS Servers on my office desktop computers. 

So bellow i leave you with a little briefing / resume of my network and then my 3 questions.

-------

Briefing of my Network:

I don't have a server on my network. I only have 5 desktops + 3 laptops, all running Windows 7 configurated has a Homegroup. If from my end you need any more information from my end to give me your advices, fell free to ask.

In terms of network equipment is as follows:

First Router - Router Provided by my ISP - IP: 192.168.1.1

Its a low-cost and low quality router provided by my ISP that besides providing cheap routers don't provice a simple modem. This router is connected my LAN to the WAN port of my second router.

|

V

Second Router - Draytek 2130n - IP: 192.168.0.1

I want to be this router to manage my network. That is the reason its setup on a different ip subnet than the ISP router.

|

V

Desktop PC 1

Its set with the following IP and DNS settings:

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (its the LAN ip of the Second Router)

Primary DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 (its the LAN ip of the Second Router)

Secondary DNS Server: nothing

--------

So my 3 questions are all about the IP and DNS settings on my Desktop PC:

1- On the Default Gateway IP, its correct use my second router LAN IP? Or should i use the WAN IP on the second router? Or maybe the LAN or WAN IP of first router?

2- On the Primary DNS Server, its correct use my second router LAN IP? Or should i use the WAN IP on the second router? Or maybe the LAN or WAN IP of first router?

3- On the Secondary DNS should i leave blank or should i put something?

Thanks

Before we get into all the other stuff, I would ask if you have tried to configure the ISP router as a Transparent Bridge? Most ISPs will let you do this these days, and it's often pretty easy. This would get rid of a lot of issues with having 2 routers in-line on your network, both now and potentially in the future as well.

^ I was about to suggest that. Bridging mode will convert the router into a functional equivalent of a broadband modem.

With that setting, your second router would then have total control on your internet traffic (ie. NAT, firewall, DHCP, DNS, etc.)

Do you have to use the ISP's router?

Hi,

Yes, i have to use my ISP router and this router does not allow to be setup in bridge or modem mode. Also my ISP does not provide just a simple modem so im forced to use the ISP router as a router. 

So from what i have been reading i have 2 options:

Option 1: Connect the second router to the ISP Router using normal LAN and setup port forward from the ISP Router to the Second Router IP.

Option 2: Connect the second router to the ISP Router DMZ LAN port.

What is the best option? And what IP's should i use as DNS and Gateway on my router and computers?

Thanks

Can you supply your own modem?  I know this can be done with spoofing the MAC address form the ISP device to a new one.

Which ISP is this?  Sounds like an overseas (from the US) to me and suspiciously like the UK

Can you supply your own modem?  I know this can be done with spoofing the MAC address form the ISP device to a new one.

Which ISP is this?  Sounds like an overseas (from the US) to me and suspiciously like the UK

Hi jmwillis,

Im located outside US and my ISP router brand and model is the Huawei LTE CPE B593 that uses 4G. My own router is a Draytek 2130.

Is this the informaton you asked for? Can you please tell me your advice?

Thanks

JW, it appears doliveira's Internet connection is via 4G wireless - no hardwire at all. I did a little searching but could not find any info on putting it into Bridge Mode - it may not be able to do it, which is unfortunate.

doliveira, I take it there is no Internet cable coming into your house: fibre, COAX, or telephone, is that correct?

JW, it appears doliveira's Internet connection is via 4G wireless - no hardwire at all. I did a little searching but could not find any info on putting it into Bridge Mode - it may not be able to do it, which is unfortunate.

doliveira, I take it there is no Internet cable coming into your house: fibre, COAX, or telephone, is that correct?

Hi ikon and jmwillis,

Yes my internet connection has no cable. I have a 4G connection with the spped of 50 mbps down / 10 mbps up. I get on averege values between 15 and 30 down and 4 to 9 up. Its a really good 4G connection, very stable and fast. The only problem i see with my ISP is not have the option of a hardware device than can be set as bridge or modem. Im forced to use the 4G ISP router in "router mode".

Now about my question about the ips of default gateway and dns, can you help me or advice further? What should i exactly use?

Thanks all for your help.