RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 sees external 3Tb drive as 2Tb

Brisbane_Mick

Hi there,

I have a WD MyBook 1140 3Tb USB drive connected to Gen8 running WHS2011. 

I can only get the Gen8 to see it as a 2Tb drive.  I have reformatted, applied latest WD firmware, and still disk management sees the device as 2Tb.  I am running 2 x 3Tb WD Reds in the Gen8 internal drive bays and they are seen as 3Tb with no problems.

Can anyone suggest how I can get this to show up as it's full capacity?

Thanks,

Mick.

Edited by Brisbane_Mick

That will explain it.  WHS cannot see volumes over 2TB, if they are being used as a backup source,

If it's formatted as GPT in diskmgmt.msc and you still can't see the whole thing, run diskpart on it:

• from admin cmd prompt:  diskpart > list disk > sel disk (whatever disk # it is ...  verify that in diskmgmt.msc if unsure) > clean > exit > exit
  • open diskmgmt.msc and you should see a prompt to initialize the drive. Choose GPT. If you still don't see the full size, pull the drive from the server. Clean (diskpart) and initialize it (diskmgmt.msc) in your main PC - W7/8.  You should see the whole drive. Create the 3TB partition (or however much of that actually exists).
  • Then reinsert into your server.

Thanks for the responses - I'll check the format next time I have some time.  Yes I understand that WHS2011 can only backup to 2Tb and below.

Cheers,

Mick.

Actually, WHS2011 cannot back up source drives larger than 2TB. However, I read an article somewhere that said you can back up folders that are larger than 2TB. I've not tried it, and don't know anyone who has, but it's apparently a bit of a 'trick' that will allow Windows Server Backup to actually back up sources larger than 2TB. YMMV.

Yes, all that is why I went with Robocopy. Someone I know regards it highly. ikon, was it?  lol   And he got me off to a good start with a batch file I modified for my scenario. You can run the robo.bat as a job using Task Scheduler. If you like that idea, and need some help with that, let us know.