RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Atom (aka Avoton/Rangely) server mobo/CPU combo for Hyper-V, and/or Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials?

tinkererguy

Atom (formerly known as Avoton/Rangely) server SoC (System on a Chip) supports VT-d and VT-x.

Intel® Atom™ Processor C2750 with 8 cores burning just 20 watts:
ark.intel.com/products/codename/54859/Avoton

Anybody tried one of the motherboard/CPU combos currently shipping with an Atom-server-class low-watt-burn CPUs, such as the C2558 in the Supermicro A1SRi-2558F?
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRi-2558F.cfm

Here's the Supermicro Atom Motherboards listing, 20 watts:
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/

FYI, Supermicro hasn't stated any of their Atom bases servers have ESXi 5.5 support yet, in their Supermicro compatibility chart:
supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/OS_Certification_Intel.cfm

but Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is listed:

windowsservercatalog.com/item.aspx?idItem=883b89d7-adea-1153-9f69-b32a48e4ff2a&bCatID=1282

See also ASRock C2750D4I:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I

and the "Tek Syndicate's" informative ASRock C2750D4I video here:

youtube.com/watch?v=j2ERph8v13s

Admittedly, the legacy "Atom" name that Intel has recycled is unfortunate. Then again, perhaps it's keeping the price down in the marketplace. Also worth noting that these new Atoms can eventually go to 64GB, which Haswell cannot do.

So I'm very curious what others think, particularly folks with first hand knowledge. Thanks!

I don't see any of the Atom's in the VMware compatibility guide, yet. Searching the web, it looks like some have gotten esxi 5.5 to run on the C2550, but there seems to be issues with the on board SATA controller or the Intel Ethernet. 

Have you heard anything on official support from VMware?