RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BRM

Client computer backup drive I/O error - what to do

jmwills

Bad cabling, perhaps?

BRM

Bad cabling, perhaps?

I thought of that.  One of the first things I did was to blow the whole thing out and check all of the drive and power supply cables.  It didn't help.

I just did option #1.  The server basically had me walk through the process of setting up backups for all the clients as if they had never been set up.  It should run automatically tonight.  I guess I lose all my old backups but I suppose I was resigned to that anyway.  If everything works I will post what I did in case it helps someone else.

ikon

It should work. It's just odd about the I/O error - something has to be going on.

Drashna Jaelre

Since I'm used to dealing with this...

Any specific disk or controller errors in the event viewer?

And if you do have a spare cable, swap it out, just to be certain.

Also, what controller is the disk connecting to? And any special cabling?

BRM

I moved the CCB folder with the registry hack described above and the backups ran fine over the weekend. The drive in question is housed in a 4 drive removable drive bay.  When all of this started I reseated (but didn't change) the cables to the drive box.  As I stated above I tried using Robocopy to copy the backup files to another location and the copy always failed on the same place on the same file (I think I tried it three times).  That would seem to me to point to a specific problem with the drive or the file system itself and not to the cables but I will swap out the cable just to see if that has any effect and then I will probably just replace the hard drive.

I really appreciate all of the help.

ikon

I agree, it sounds like it's a hard disk issue. I am really surprised SpinRite didn't find it. Is this enclosure attached to the server via USB, and did you run SpinRite against the drives while they were in the enclosure. If so, I would run it against the drives individually, and ensure they are attached to the computer using SATA.

BRM

There are 4 SATA cables that go from the motherboard to the back of the enclosure.  The individual drives then plug into SATA pins in the back of the drawers after the drive is mounted in the "drawers".  At the time this all happened I had two drives in the enclosure and I ran SpinRite against both of them.

ikon

That sounds like it should be OK. I guess the other thing you could try is the manufacturer's drive software, see if it can fix it.