RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Temperature and air flow for server - how important?

javaman

I placed my whs 2011 server in a small closet and noticed the temperature inside is about 80 F. There is not much air flow in there either except for 2 x 1.5" holes near the bottom of the closet. 

This article from 5 years ago states Google keeps their server rooms at 80 F

What do you think, am I good, or should pull some air in a few minutes an hour?

Let's put it like this.  It can't get any more important.  I would question the validity of an article that says any server room is 80F.  Even in Baghdad we kept them around 70 and I can promise you we had a whole lot less than they did.

Air flow is the key but I would not even think about going over that 80f mark.

Ambient room temp is one measure. You need to know what the internal temp of the server is. Additionally, you should monitor the temp of power hungry chips, like CPU, network, raid. Does your motherboard have any monitoring capabilities?

One reason Google can run their data centers at 80f is that they monitor internal server temps closely.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

You guys have it easy. Ambient temp where my server is goes to the high 90's. A couple of my hard disks peaks at about 116 and averages at about 100. Things cool down a bit with the A/C on.

The WD Red spec sheets says that the operating temps is 32-158 F. I guess I'm well within the allowable tolerances.

Have you ever seen a CPU release from the socket because of heat?  I have.

Wow, that's probably on meltdown. Well I hope that my large Noctua cooler can keep the CPU from falling out. ;)

Here's my current environmental values. It's right about midnight right now so the ambient temp is relatively cooler than that of daytime. I have been running this setup for over three years.

e9ec0346d9647a066decc26cbde6e6a5_zps98ad

Note that the only 30 C (86 F) drive shown is an SSD. Please don't mind the mislabeled HDDs.

i think we can all agree that air flow will help situation like this.  But remember that the air has to have a place to escape too.

• Like 1

Those temps in the image don't look too bad oj88, but I do think 116F is getting kind of up there a bit.

I don't know about other google data centers, but I know they located one in Hamina, Finland specifically to take advantage of the lower air temperatures. It's also on the sea, so they have a unique sea water system to provide extra cooling.

I just installed speedfan and the 5 HD's are running at 84 - 91F

The 4 cores in the i5 are running 54 - 59F

The large server (Rosewill THRONE-G-Window Gunmetal Gaming ATX Full Tower 3has 7 fans and has lots of air flow internally. What air flow is important, the server air flow or the air flow in and out of the closet?

Edited by javaman