RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it possible to use 6TB ST6000NM0024 harddisk on MicroServer Gen8?

tedaz

Is it possible to use 6TB ST6000NM0024 harddisk on MicroServer Gen8?

My MicroServer Gen8 is working in AHCI SATA mode, and I'm planning to install 6TB ST6000NM0024 harddisk to it.

Does the motherboard support 6TB harddisks?

I can't see why not. The big barrier was 2TB. Once we got past that (with Advanced Formatting and GPT) we should be able to use drives up to some crazy-large size.

I can't see why not. The big barrier was 2TB. Once we got past that (with Advanced Formatting and GPT) we should be able to use drives up to some crazy-large size.

Have your tried any hard disk larger than 4TB on MicroServer Gen8?

GPT is GPT......like ikon said, once we passed that 2TB barrier, the sky is the limit.  Now having said that, there could be some size limitations of say WHS to use anything larger than 2TB for some specific cases.

Have your tried any hard disk larger than 4TB on MicroServer Gen8?

No, I don't have access to a G8 ATM. But, the idea still stands: if the system can use any drive over 2TB then it should be able to use every drive over 2 TB.

Here's a quote from Petri IT Knowledgebase:

Microsoft adopted the GPT disk partitioning scheme in 2001 from Intel’s Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) specifications. It accommodates disk partition sizes up to 18 exabytes (EBs) or 1 million terabytes (TBs). Each GUID partition contains a 36-character field to allow a readable name to be associated with each partition.

1 millllllllllllion Terabytes!!! <--- I don't think we have to worry about running out of disk drive space any time soon :D

As jmwills said, there can be software-related limitations that prevent us from using the full capacity of a drive. However, those are disappearing pretty rapidly as new OS' are released.

• 3 months later...

I have installed 2 x WD 6TB drives. They work fine.

(could not say about Seagate 6TB drives, but I would be
most suprised if 8TB and 10TB drives did not work).

WIndows 7 Pro 64 desktop OS. That works fine too.

HTH