RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Local Drive (E:) Full - Not sure if I can delete files or why this drive is full?

fredload

My Local drive on my WHS 2011 is showing as full? My client backups are showing on my (D:) drive, so I am not sure why my (E:) drive is showing full? Can someone explain to me what is saving to this drive and what can I delete and what shouldn't I delete to make space. I have some screen shots below. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

xog7.jpg

7g50e.jpg

41v7.jpg

I'd bet server with VSS. Mainly because the server wants a dedicated drive.

Volume Shadow Copies perhaps? What are the file extension names?

They look to mostly be .dat files. See below, this is what most of the files look like. I guess my big question is, can I delete them and start over with my client backups. I don't really need a bunch of old copies. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

jh1c.jpg

9bycy.jpg

Again, I really think these are the server backups and not clients. 

Check this:

If VSS is turned ON, how do I turn it OFF?

On the HP MediaSmart Server VSS is turned off for all partitions. To turn it off on other hardware you will need to Remote Desktop into your Home Server and start regedit. (WARNING: If you don’t know what regedit is, then do not follow these guidelines as you could render your WHS inoperable)

Open the following location in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes

You will find a GUID for each volume. Turn it off by setting the SnapPeriod key for that volume to 0 from the default 43200000 (milliseconds is 12h) . By default, it’s only enabled for the D: partition.

Finally a re-boot of the server will be required.

I agree with jmwills, annnnd, Windows Server Backup will definitely fill up its backup drive. When the drive is almost full, it will start deleting the oldest incremental backup to make room for new ones.

Again, I really think these are the server backups and not clients. 

Check this:

If VSS is turned ON, how do I turn it OFF?

On the HP MediaSmart Server VSS is turned off for all partitions. To turn it off on other hardware you will need to Remote Desktop into your Home Server and start regedit. (WARNING: If you don’t know what regedit is, then do not follow these guidelines as you could render your WHS inoperable)

Open the following location in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes

You will find a GUID for each volume. Turn it off by setting the SnapPeriod key for that volume to 0 from the default 43200000 (milliseconds is 12h) . By default, it’s only enabled for the D: partition.

Finally a re-boot of the server will be required.

Not being a real power user, I am not very comfortable making any registry edits. I have been running this server for over 2 years and never noticed any issues with the drive filling. Am I able to just delete the files on the drive and let the system start backing up again. Currently I am not able to back up any clients and none of my client computers show any previous backups which I find odd. I have backed them up successfully in the past with no issues. I assume the issue is related to the drive being full. Below is a screen shot of my current alerts. As you can see I never have used the server backup and it has not been configured. Thanks again for all the help and support.

oqjk.jpg

My Local drive on my WHS 2011 is showing as full? My client backups are showing on my (D:) drive, so I am not sure why my (E:) drive is showing full? Can someone explain to me what is saving to this drive and what can I delete and what shouldn't I delete to make space. I have some screen shots below. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

xog7.jpg

7g50e.jpg

41v7.jpg

The other thing I find odd is that these dat files all show modified on 6/22/2014 at 12:29pm. Not sure if this means anything? Just seems that this drive became full very quickly and I never had any issues or warnings prior????