RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I did something really stupid... deleted "default website" and reinstalled IIS

Mycophiles

Trying to start from scratch I did this.  Little did I know that reinstalling IIS does not give you back your default website.

Trying to restore from backup ... the latest backup I have is after I deleted the default website.

Is there some way someone can install IIS can do a backup and share that backup with me?  Would that work for me?

After scouring the web I cannot find a way to restore IIS back to it's original configuration.

The backups are incremental meaning there is a copy there before you deleted it.

The backups are incremental meaning there is a copy there before you deleted it.

Yea, they are incremental and there were about 10 of them.  I picked the very first one and the default website was not there.  They are numbered incrementally also so I decided to try to do a backup BEFORE the first one and the computer gave me an error.

Disconnect the data drives wipe the OS drive and never look back.

Then rethink your backup strategy.

Disconnect the data drives wipe the OS drive and never look back.

Then rethink your backup strategy.

Yes, most definitely lesson learned. 

I'm puzzled a bit. I can't understand how it is that the files for the default web site would not be in the backup.

Is this Windows Server Backup we're talking about?

Are you backing up the entire OS drive (C:)?

Are you certain that you picked a backup that actually contained the default web site? Is it possible you restored from a backup that was done before you enabled the Web Server Role? Is it possible the files are actually in a backup from only a day or 2 ago (IOW, just before you deleted the default web site)?

IIS has it's own backup and restore feature, IIRC. And I think that's what he's referring to.

You should be able to restore to right before you "edited" the config. That's the best choice.

Otherwise, the initial save will be the clean state of IIS BEFORE it installs all the "Essentials" stuff.

IIS has it's own backup and restore feature, IIRC. And I think that's what he's referring to.

You should be able to restore to right before you "edited" the config. That's the best choice.

Otherwise, the initial save will be the clean state of IIS BEFORE it installs all the "Essentials" stuff.

I wish I could restore from right before I deleted the default website. It appears I would have to do a restore of the system from before.  

Of course I've done a backup of all the computers on the network but I haven't done a backup of the server.  So I'm going to end up having to do a restore from disk. 

Yaay!  Go me.