• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• mdresser

• jmwills

Ikon,

Do you use the VPN on your UT and if so in what situation?

Funny you should ask. I only just set it up the other day - haven't had a chance to test it yet. What I would use it for is to connect to my network from public places so I could retrieve and save files while away from home.

Poppapete

Same here. Just set it up. V10 makes it quite easy. Going to try it for the rare occasions I am away and using a public WiFi. Usually use my own 4G modem.

Yeah, I usually tether to my LTE cell phone. But, if the wife & I do some traveling (as we've been trying to do for about 2 years now), a VPN could be pretty useful I think.

Guest techyguyni

the problem is the ug firewall I have, I have port 1723 forwarded to the relivent ip/nic and the relivent ports open on windows firewall, with this configured and its still not working, I know my router/modem is not stopping my traffic as I have the relivent ports open and forwarding enabled, I have setup a vm windows 7 box with vpn enabled in windows, I have connected my nic cable directly to the router and it works fine, when I connect a windows box behind the zywall usg it wont work, this has now proven to be the issue!!! how to relove UNKNOWN.

As you probably know, there are many ways to setup a VPN. Since you mention port 1723, I assume that you are trying to use PPTP as the tunnelling method, which is fine, although not the most secure in the world, but, strictly speaking, it isn't enough just to forward this port.

Port 1723 is just used for the VPN control protocol. The actual data is sent using GRE, and this traffic (it's not a port but a type of data traffic) also has to be allowed to traverse the router, really it has to be able to do NAT traversal but in most cases these are the same thing. Some routers will do this, sometimes referred to as PPTP pass through, but not all do.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Zywall but I've had a look at the manual and it has built in support for IPSec, SSL VPN and L2TP but nothing about PPTP.

So my advice would be to either dig around in the settings and see if there is anything about GRE passthrough or even better, give up the idea of terminating a VPN on the server and instead allow the USG20 to do it. You'll have to use IPSec instead of PPTP or give the SSL VPN a try.

Don't you just love networking?

John

jem101, perhaps you can help me with a VPN issue. I just set one up using Untangle as the VPN server. I will start another topic for it.

Guest techyguyni

I think its a routing issue I have, when connected to the vpn I have a gateway address of 0.0.0.0 if I provide full details and photos can anyone provide me help me enter the correct information to enable me to have my traffic go out through my server?

thank you