RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN No internet

Guest techyguyni

i want to be able to conenct to my vpn and all my traffic go through my server, visit websites ect.

thanks

I'm not quite sure why you would want to do that - is it a privacy/security issue? I would have thought you would want to be able to access your LAN for some things but use your laptop's Internet connection outside of the VPN for other things like web surfing. Web surfing over a VPN has got to be a lot slower than directly, no?

In any case, you say this worked with WSE2012 so I'm a little confused why it wouldn't work now. I think you're idea about routing issues makes some sense.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• mdresser

its my firewall that is the issue, I have a usg 20 firewall between the router and the server, whn I run the cable from the server and connect it directly to the router I can after a refresh of the vpn server connect to it and have all my traffic go through the server with no limited connection showing on my laptop.

This is no good as my server is not protected, I have now moved it back, this was part of my troubleshooting.

still, I cant figure out whats blocking my vpn traffic

hi my router has nat and has a firewall, the usg is a pain, i have the vpn ports set up but it still dont work, keep in mind i can connect to the vpn i just cant send my internet traffic through it.

I'm not quite sure why you would want to do that - is it a privacy/security issue? I would have thought you would want to be able to access your LAN for some things but use your laptop's Internet connection outside of the VPN for other things like web surfing. Web surfing over a VPN has got to be a lot slower than directly, no?

In any case, you say this worked with WSE2012 so I'm a little confused why it wouldn't work now. I think you're idea about routing issues makes some sense.

Yes I want to be able to send traffic to my server as to keep it private, i dont want to check my bank going over a hotel network, i want to have a secure like for the things that matter to me

thanks

Yes I want to be able to send traffic to my server as to keep it private, i dont want to check my bank going over a hotel network, i want to have a secure like for the things that matter to me

thanks

OK, that makes sense.

But, if the router has NAT and a firewall, why have the USG 20? Or, conversely, what about putting the router (I assume it's the one your ISP provided) into Bridge Mode? I say that because, perhaps, you're running into issues from having 2 routers in line.

Because the routers firewall is a waste of time, the router is provided with my isp, its built by net gear as far as i know. i would rather use dedicated kit when it comes to my network devices. Trying to understand NAT on the usg is like trying to figure out the meaning of life, never seen a device like it.

That's why I suggested converting the ISP-provided router to Bridge Mode. It should remove 1 layer of complexity.

I'm not sure why you would want to try to understand NAT. I know the basic concepts, but that's it. I've never gotten deep into any specific implementation. I've never needed to.

I just checked: your USG20 does support VPN, including SSL VPN. I think you might be better served by using the USG20 to do the VPN instead of the server.

So, to sum up, if it was me I would:

1. put the ISP provided router in Bridge Mode
  2. remove the VPN setup from Windows server
  3. set up VPN on the USG20

Hi Ikon

As far as I know the usg 20 client software for the VPN has to be bought, Iam been cheap and trying to do it with what I have, Also I will try the bridge mode your talking about.

Also I cant get the server to stop crying about port 80 and 443 when I setup the remote access and vpn in the dashboard when I have had the router in bridge mode in the past, I ve even tried it in router/modem mode and forwarded the ports but still have had no luck with it, different issue anyway.