RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN No internet

Guest techyguyni

The server issues the vpn client an address of 0.0.0.0 and yes the ip address is in the 10. range, also the the server has not got dhcp installed, the firewall issues clients on my lan there ip addresses. I don't have a static route defined, could you explain how I can do this.

Here is the information for the server should you need it, the server ip address is 192.168.1.39 the gateway it uses is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

also when I untick the option to use remote gateway my vpn works, its only when I tick this option that it displays limited on my laptop and I then cant browse the internet although I can still use the network shares via the vpn.

thanks

Edited by techyguyni
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• mdresser

• jmwills

Guest techyguyni

I ve added a static route on the server  ---- route add /p 10.0.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.39 and still I have limited connectivity

i ve bounced the server and I am no further one

Edited by techyguyni
mdresser

Quick question, but why would you want to use the default gateway on the remote network?

Doesn't Server 2012 R2 Essentials by default have this un-ticked when it creates the VPN.

Michael.

Guest techyguyni

the option to use the remote gateway is in your vpn settings under networking advanced.

I want to use it for many reasons, that fact of the matter is when I had windows 7 pro and server essentials 2012 (not r2) everything worked fine, now I run server essentials 2012 r2 and windows 8.1 it don't work

Just to get me up to speed, is the situation that you are using laptop remotely to connect to your server over a VPN but, when you do that, you lose the ability to surf the net using the laptop - IOW, the laptop seems 'locked' into the VPN link? Is that it?

Guest techyguyni

yes, when i use laptop remotely and connect to my vpn, i get a limited connection status and i cant surf the internet, i want to be able to conenct to my vpn and all my traffic go through my server, visit websites ect.

thanks

mdresser

I'm a bit confused as to how you have the IP addresses set up. You seem to be using a mix of 2 different subnets.

Can you define what ip's are used by what devices and what handles DHCP to try and clear things up.