RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Black2 (120GB SSD and 1TB HDD in one)

Sitnalta

Anybody experience with this disk?

In Windows it shows up as 2 disks, but it only uses 1 sata connection.

Maybe a nice solution to get an extra disk in the Microserver Gen8 ODD.

Probably not usable with HP Smart Storage Administrator I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They require drivers to use properly, which means they only work well in Windows.

I would not purchase one.  If you want to use any other operating system, or virtualize, you are likely stuck.

I'm running Server 2012 with the default raid controller but I think the Smart Storage Administrator is not going to recognise this disk in RAID modus.

Maybe I will try it, I can always put it in my work laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but if Windows is what you are going to use......

Yeah, but if you're not sure you're always going to use it...

Or if you might run Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, or ESXi underneath it...

It's just too limiting, IMO.  Why not save money by buying a SchoonDoggy Drive Bracket for extra drives, and use an inexpensive Crucial MX100 SSD or even two, on a SATA card?  No drivers required.

The WD Black2 is really more at home in a laptop, as you typically only have a single drive bay.

On a server, even if it works, it just adds a bit of complication. If either of the SSD or HDD portion fails, the whole drive becomes useless. I think that's just too rickety for a server setup.

On a server, even if it works, it just adds a bit of complication. If either of the SSD or HDD portion fails, the whole drive becomes useless. I think that's just too rickety for a server setup.

Really? Are you sure? I'm just wondering if the working drive would still work.... not if the controller board failed of course, but that happens way less than physical drive failure.

Well ok, Ithere was a bit of speculation poured in. But really, I wouldn't want to find out what its failure modes are... at least not on a server.