RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

5TB hard drives?

rfs830

Well I am finally getting around to flashing a modded bios for my NL54 but wanted to know if 4 and 5tb hard drives will work.  

On a side note has anyone used www.starwindsoftware.com software?  

I was looking to put open media vault but may just reinstall 2012 and try this software.  

I'm running 5 x 4TB WD Red's in my N54L (see Sig lines below) so I know those work.  I would be interested in knowing if anyone has loaded 5TB's in their N54L or even a Gen8.

In a way, it's kind of hard to imagine having problems with large drives for quite a long time. Once we got past the 2TB barrier, and into Advanced Format, GPT drives, the upper limit was reset to some ridiculously large number.

• 10 months later...

A while back one of my Seagate 3TB drives started the clicking thing and it was no longer under warranty, I removed from the Stablebit Drivepool but I only had a spare 1TB drive. It left me feeling kinda squished :unsure:   So  I've been in the market for a deal on a 5TB or 6TB 7200 drive for quite a while.   Finally, yesterday a 5TB 7200 drive came in the mail.  So I removed the 1TB drive from the Stablebit Drivepool.  Then I shutdown the server and installed the 5TB drive.  When I powered the N54L (modded bios)  the drive showed up and I added it into my Drivepool.  It formatted the drive (4.55TB).  The used Stablebit Scanner to scan the drive.  On the N54L it took something like 10 hours to check the entire drive.  This is the largest drive I have even had in the drivepool and it works properly :)

Edited by RacerX
  • Like 1

I have a couple of 8TB Seagate Archive drives in my pool (but it's not a microServer).

In a way, it's kind of hard to imagine having problems with large drives for quite a long time. Once we got past the 2TB barrier, and into Advanced Format, GPT drives, the upper limit was reset to some ridiculously large number.

Actually, 2TBs was only a limit with MBR disks. GPT drives support Advanced Format drives natively (and have for a long while), and their limit huge.

GPT used 64 bits for addressing (as opposed to GPT's 32 bit), and can get 8ZB (ZB == 1 BILLION TBs!) using 512B sectors. (and 64ZB for 4096B sectors.

So, the limit for GPT is .... well, very future proof (watch, in 10 years, we'll be hitting this limit again, :P )