RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't re-install connector in Win 8.1 Pro

grit

I had my WHS2011 server running, backups and all. I had to pull some hard drives, including the client and server backup drives (each separate, and separate from the file sharing drives). Since I lost all the client backups, I had to remove and reconnect the Win 8.1 Pro laptop. I uninstalled the connector software, and now I can't get it reinstalled. I have tried EVERY fix I can find on the web: nothing.

All the stuff relating to media center has no matching keys in Win 8.1.

All the stuff about pending restarts doesn't apply (there is no pending rename operations key in the registry), and I'm not getting that error anyway.

I've rebooted over 20 times. 

I've disabled/enabled IPv6

The laptop is not on a domain.

I've renamed the computer.

There is no connector software installed.

I'd REALLY appreciate any help here. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary... just uninstalled the connector, and now I can't get it reinstalled.

Added:

The connector goes through "Configuring your computer..." then fails with "The installation is cancelled. The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error. Click close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer."

Edited by grit

There has to be an associated event error in the Event Viewer (client side) so what does that say?

Windows Home Server 2011 Connector       Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB2781278)       1603       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCore.msi.log       (NULL)       (NULL)               7B43314534443633392D344133332D343331342D383039452D3839424430454634383532327D207B35453536303946412D463538372D344534462D423135372D4444464546363033433731337D2031363033

Also, computer name is only 6 characters (all alphabetical). The hotfix is already installed on the whs2011 server. This all worked before I uninstalled the connector. :(

Edited by grit

Did you also remove the Client computer from the server?  It has to be removed and added back.

I did. Funny thing now is that whenever I try to add the client in question, it still shows up on the server even though the connector install fails. However, the client always shows as off-line, even when it's online. 

Did you use the DashBoard to delete the Client Computer? And did you then reboot the Server and Client Computer to ensure there were no straggling bits & pieces of code or config info hanging around?

If you ping -a WHS2011SERVER do you get the correct IP? I've had to add the actual IP to the HOSTS file on some PCs where the DNS wasn't resolving local hosts correctly. Nothing you've described should have caused this issue to suddenly come up, but the symptoms are the same.

%systemdrive%\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

The first two lines should already be in the hosts file; add the third line. You'll have to reboot for it to take effect.

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
[yourserverIPaddress] [yourservername]

Also, make sure the date and time on the WHS 2011 and client PC are the same.