RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

uTorrent WS2012R2

momotarotaro

Hi,

I'd like to ask how I should install uTorrent in WS2012R2, under the built-in Administrator account, under a new account with admin privileges or under a new account without admin privileges?

My other question, if uTorrent is installed as a service, will I be able to open the application locally to manage torrents or can it only be accessed via the webui?

I've been reading many posts for the past 2 days, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help!

Either way, you'd have to access it via the webUI exclusively. Or stop it, run the program, and make any changes that way.

For ease..... (and this is very bad, from a security standpoint), run it using the Admin account (you can't use the built in, IIRC) and give it admin privileges.

I too run my utorrent under a win 7 VM on WSE12R2 Hyper-V. Seems to run fine. I've never had much success with the utorrent webUI.

webUI works fine for me, as long as you don't run any adblockers (it seems to cause issues).

And I don't bother with a VM, because unless you're running the files, (via a script or something) there shouldn't be an issue

About running uTorrent under a VM, would it still be a good idea if I'd like to dedicate 3 TB of storage (a full HDD actually) for seeding and downloads?

Or just keep it simple, 'cause I don't run files via a script or anything automated after a download is completed?

I don't know what you do with uTorrent but, if there's a chance that you could get infected, I would run it in a VM. I would keep a backup copy of the VM file around, so you can copy it back to the working file, to wipe out any potential infections.

I don't know. I've downloaded some pretty shady stuff with uTorrent in the past. As long as you don't run the files.... Or at least have an antivirus solution installed.... I've never had an issue.

I look at it like the "belt and suspenders" philosophy - just an extra measure of safety. Besides, who knows what you might pick up from some of the web sites you visit while looking for torrent files. I've gotten infections from some of them over the years. I hardly ever torrent anymore, but it was always nice to just be able to copy a backup of the VM file to the working image and know I've wiped out any 'baddies'. ;)