RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Two computer transferring files back and fourth.

gto11520

Hi

I just setup a windows server 2012 r2 at my small business running less then 100 gigs worth of data at location a.  However,  with only one server at my main location how can i trasfer files back and forth automaically.

A windows 2012 r2 server at location a.

A windows xp computer at location b. The ISP are not the same. and the routers are different.

I want the server to transfer/download to the other location and the windows xp computer to download/transfer from location A.

now I like the transfer to happen seemlessly like dropbox where data is constantly updated automatically without download/transfer the entire folder.

server currently is acting as standalone member server. there is no active directory services nor dfs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

dave

Edited by gto11520

Have both systems sync to the same One Drive account would be about the only way I know to do this.  Unless, you want to start dealing with VPN's which is not all that difficult.

This is all nice, but what about the backups in case something goes FUBAR?

Have both systems sync to the same One Drive account would be about the only way I know to do this.  Unless, you want to start dealing with VPN's which is not all that difficult.

This is all nice, but what about the backups in case something goes FUBAR?

thanks for your reply at the moment one drive only limits up to 7 gb and everything after is a paid service. anything for free where i can transfer between the two site

If you want to run something similar to dropbox, you can try running owncloud, but I am not sure if that runs on linux only or not.  The SSL setup also seemed non-trivial.

I would recommend running a VPN, as others have suggested.  Once the VPN is setup, there are a number of packages you can run to keep the files in sync, such as syncback, rsync, synctoy, etc.

Also, I believe dropbox will let you have more than the basic amount in your folder, but will only sync 2GB into the cloud storage (or however much they give you for free).  They will, correct me if I'm wrong, let you sync more locally.  Since you'd be on a VPN, that would be locally.  You'd probably get a lot of nag screens though.

VPN's are free.  I'd setup the VPN between the source and destination and let there be a shred o folder on the destination where everything syncs.

My sync suggestion above relies on VPN as well.

Do you use Office 365? If so, they are bumping OneDrive to 1TB for O365 users.

Is it really Windows Server 2012 Standard R2, or is it Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2?  If it's Essentials, check out this article...http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj730374.aspx.  Something like DirectAccess will work really well for you if you're willing to upgrade the XP machine to Windows 7 (at least).  Otherwise, you can setup a more traditional VPN connection pretty easily.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

This is a server 2012 r2 standard edition x64.

I setup a vpn using a free service as suggest above using logmein hamachi. The folder is current shared within the workgroup. not a domain!

1. i cant update the current windows xp reason is budget and the current pc has  mission critical data. I dont want to change any configuration.

2. Sync Toys or Allway Sync , resync, .....etc which one will you pick?

3. i do not own office360 (i may one day)

I curently have 60 gig worth of data that will mimic exact duplicate of each other for each site. now if a user update a file will sync software start download the entire 60 gig worth of data and transfer thru vpn... this will of course take a long time? I will require something more like brick/last edited file level sync ...

Edited by gto11520