RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unsuccessful Backups in 2011

awraynor

My 2011 box has been working well until 3 days ago. My 2011 OS is on an SSD and the data drives are in a pool

under DrivePool. The details section of the failed backups relate an inability to read from the pooled drives and it

instructs me to run check disk. 

When I do this Windows states the pool is fine, yet the backup still doesn't complete. I downloaded the trial

of StableBit Scanner and it tells me there is a 4K sector that is bad. The two also disagreed on my server

drives. 

Any ideas on how to clear the "error" as Windows doesn't think I have a problem or if there are alternate

problems related to failed backups?

OK, first, CHKDSK isn't really a hard disk checker - it's a file system checker. If there are inconsistencies in the file tables or indexes, it will find them and, if you specify, fix them. Scanner is a better tool for checking hard disks. I forget how, but I thought that Scanner either automatically fixed bad sectors, or it gave you the option to fix them.

Second, I'm not sure I would want Scanner scanning my SSD drives. I always worry that running a disk checker on an SSD will shorten the SSD's life. Scanner may not be a problem (maybe it only reads drives and only writes if it finds a problem - that would be OK I think).

First of all I was in error on the complete description of the original problem. It is my Win8 box that was failing to backup to my 2011 box. Although earlier there was ? a bad sector on a pooled drive on the server while Windows

and StableBit scanner disagreed on the problem.

On the Win8 box I have stayed away from the SSD as the spinners in Storage Spaces appear to be the problem. Checking the disk from the GUI didn't find any problems althought StableBit Scanner identified a bad 4K sector. When I ran 

chkdsk with /f /r it did find an error. I am now in a backup at 56%, will see if it completes this time?

After 16 unsuccessful attempts, the backup finally completed. By this weekend  think I'll be on DrivePool and away from StorageSpaces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, first, CHKDSK isn't really a hard disk checker - it's a file system checker. If there are inconsistencies in the file tables or indexes, it will find them and, if you specify, fix them. Scanner is a better tool for checking hard disks. I forget how, but I thought that Scanner either automatically fixed bad sectors, or it gave you the option to fix them.

Second, I'm not sure I would want Scanner scanning my SSD drives. I always worry that running a disk checker on an SSD will shorten the SSD's life. Scanner may not be a problem (maybe it only reads drives and only writes if it finds a problem - that would be OK I think).

The surface scan doesn't offer to repair at all. Just to attempt to recover the files. I have an upcoming blog post (at blog.covecube.com) that goes into a good amount of detail of what exactly Scanner does do. A lot of it is based on common questions that are asked about Scanner.

As for fixing bad sectors, you can wait for the disk to use those sectors and "fix" them naturally, or you can force the issue by using "chkdsk /r". You don't need the "/f", as it's implied. But if this is windows 8 based.... /scan is nice (doesn't umount the disk to scan it)

DrivePool + Scanner is a good combination.

Absolutely!

When I do this Windows states the pool is fine, yet the backup still doesn't complete. I downloaded the trial

of StableBit Scanner and it tells me there is a 4K sector that is bad. The two also disagreed on my server

drives. 

Any ideas on how to clear the "error" as Windows doesn't think I have a problem or if there are alternate

problems related to failed backups?

Bad sectors are sectors on the disk that StableBit Scanner is having issues reading. It means that there is a problem with that physical location on the disk. 

As Ikon (i believe, sorry, its 1am) stated, CHKDSK is used for finding and repairing file system damage. In fact, ..... that's what StableBit Scanner's "File system check" is. It was implemented at .... actually my request, for WHS2011. Namely because WHS2011 doesn't run a !twice! daily chkdsk pass like WHSv1 did. So a periodic file system check is a really good idea here.

The difference between chkdsk and Scanners surface scan is that Scanner is "file agnostic". It scans each and every sector. Once that's done, if there is any damage, then we determine which files are hosted in these sectors. And then we offer to recover them. In fact, this is the ONLY time that StableBit Scanner actually writes to a disk (aside from settings, and via CHKDSK when you repair a damaged file system).

Only two things that bothered me about the bad sectors. 

First  is WHS wouldn't back up the PC until they were fixed and second I hate getting errors in general.