RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying to host a website from home...

Mycophiles

My girlfriend and her business partner wanted to put a website up so I thought I would show them a couple of joomla/wordpress templates they could use.  But before they make a final decision buy templates/domain/webhosting I figured I would setup the website on my win 2012 r2 server and host it from my house.  

So I bought the domain, installed IIS 8.  Installed BOTH joomla and wordpress.  I got no errors but I cannot view my webpages from outside the network.

Troubleshooting:

I've forwarded the port on the router (80) to the static address of my server.

If I ping the domain name I get a response back from my external IP.

(I think there could be a binding issue but not sure what I would need to do)

Really don't know what's going on from here.  I've done this before on my win8 server.

Could anyone give me some clues.

Thanks

-Tony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• mrossco

• ikon

• Mycophiles

Also:

localhost  -->  does not work  error: "HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found."  Used to get the 2012 web essentials screen

localhost/wordpress --> does work.

localhost/joomla_30 --> does work. 

www.websitename/wordpress --> does not work

www.websitename/joomla_30 -->  does not work

I understand only one of these will work at a time. 

Edited by Mycophiles

If it works internally ie from a workstation on your LAN enter

http://servername/Wordpress:80

and the website appears then IIS is fine and the site must be bound ok to port 80.

If it doesn't work from outside then either something is wrong with your port forwarding rules or as jmwills says, the ISP is blocking the traffic. If the later then you'll have to do a bit of port translation on the router and, just for testing try something like

Http://www.websitename/Wordpress:8080 (say) and see what you get.

John

Could your ISP be blocking Port 80 traffic for hosting?

No it doesn't. (att uverse).  However: I am using DMZ on their router to allow my router to be the DHCP.

I don't understand how using DMZ lets you use DHCP. AFAIK, they're not related. Do you mean you have the Uverse router set up in Bridge Mode perhaps?

I don't understand how using DMZ lets you use DHCP. AFAIK, they're not related. Do you mean you have the Uverse router set up in Bridge Mode perhaps?

Well, maybe I am wrong.  DMZ opens the internal (areas in the DMZ) LAN ports to the WAN (internet) so I thought this is what you would use to put a router behind another router.  With ATT Uverse you are given a 2wire.  I need the router to work for VOIP but I wanted to use DD-WRT features so I put another router behind the 2wire and all the computers work on the subnet attatched to the 2nd router.  I thought the DMZ also enables the 2nd router to be a DHCP but I guess not.

If it works internally ie from a workstation on your LAN enter

http://servername/Wordpress:80

and the website appears then IIS is fine and the site must be bound ok to port 80.

If it doesn't work from outside then either something is wrong with your port forwarding rules or as jmwills says, the ISP is blocking the traffic. If the later then you'll have to do a bit of port translation on the router and, just for testing try something like

Http://www.websitename/Wordpress:8080 (say) and see what you get.

John

It doesn't work from inside the network so I guess I have something wrong with the binding. 

I get a message NOT FOUND.  HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

Try this URL:

By manually adding the port to the URL, this will/should tell you if you have a port binding issue.

Can you bring up the site in IIS?