RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Shared folder without the password

Hello,

How to make the new folder which is available without the password?

I would like to have one public folder in my home network and mount it as a drive on my pc's.

Thank you in advance.

jmwills

Se the Shared Permissions to Everyone Full Control and Security Permissions to "Authenticated Users or Everyone" with at lest Read.  Now that's how you do it from within Windows.

If you are using the Console, the option is there for Everyone to have access.  Map a drive using this format:

\\homeserver\mynewfolder   Where "Homeserver" is the host name of the server and "MyNewFolder" is the name of the Share.

I am looking to do the same thing and haven't figured it out yet either.

I know in Windows 7 when I had that problem, I had to go into the security policy and set it to not reject guest logon (don't remember the official name of the setting).  For Windows server I've been told not to mess with sharing permissions individually and to use the dashboard for everything, so I haven't come up with a solution yet because I've been too afraid to mess with it.

Interesting to hear what you find out.

jmwills

What are the "Sharing Permissions" on that Folder?  Try and avoid any spaces in the Share Name.  What is the share Name?

Go to Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Shared Folders

YOu should see the name of the Shared Folder in there.  Please show a screen shot of the Sharing and Security Tabs.

What errors are you getting?

What are the "Sharing Permissions" on that Folder?  Try and avoid any spaces in the Share Name.  What is the share Name?

Go to Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Shared Folders

YOu should see the name of the Shared Folder in there.  Please show a screen shot of the Sharing and Security Tabs.

What errors are you getting?

Folder name is: "Newfolder" - so the name without the spaces.

There is no error, only the window for log in (enter network password).

izxc42.png

jmwills

What happens when you hit enter?  What is the Client OS?

have you tried using the IP Address instead of the hostname of the server?   \\192.168.1.100\newfolder

What happens when you hit enter?  What is the Client OS?

have you tried using the IP Address instead of the hostname of the server?   \\192.168.1.100\newfolder

1. What happens when you hit enter? - Still ask for password.

2. What is the Client OS? Windows 7 and the same on windows 8.1

oawzvb.png

Edited by Zenon

Although you might think it, giving 'Everyone' access to a share doesn't quite do what you think it does! You'll need to add 'Anonymous' (it's one of the odd-ball built-in accounts in Windows) and give this account read/write access on both the sharing and the NTFS permissions tabs.

I suspect you will also need to enable the 'Guest' account otherwise I expect the server to demand credentials long before it gets to the actual share itself.

Now I must admit that I'm doing this from memory as having access to servers and shares without any authentication is a massive security hole and certainly not something I would be doing in my day job, especially guest access on a DC which opens up a whole can of worms.

John

jmwills

I've never seen Anonymous used in file sharing. "Everyone" means anyone who can get to the resource, at least to be able to see the share an the security permission lets you perform the action such as read.

Can the clients use the regular WHS shares? Do all users have Domain accounts?

Edit:  I can access a test shared folder from a non-domain computer but i have to supply credentials.  Now, to find the policy enforcing this behavior.