RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

ASUS RT-AC68R Refurbished for $139

Jason

Would take an ASUS over Netgear any day. Just sayin.

BSR

I'm normally in that camp as well, but the last Netgear I had to set up for someone was a MUCH easier experience than I had ever had with them.

I hate using the setup-CD as it assumes I'm (lowest common denominator) completely network ignorant.  Also lots of computers don't have CD drives any more.  This one had an option for that: a network address to surf to that asked a couple questions, analyzed the network, made logical choices, and was pretty much working before I tweaked a few settings.  The last Netgear router I owned was from about 2008 and (though fast) was just a royal pain to set up.  I think they must have completely revamped their interface and it's a big improvement.

I hear Linksys is now coming out with what will be the new fastest router.....gotta stop reading those press releases and be happy with what I got!

awraynor

Read a lot of good about the Asus I purchased, hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

awraynor

So the Asus RT-AC68R arrived today from NewEgg. Plain white box, router, ac cord, no cables. Looks to be in good cosmetic condition.

Setup should start when I open a browser, it didn't. Went to ip address and router.asus. com as alternatives, didn't get much farther than that.

Used the setup CD, still no luck. After numerous reboots, factory reset and more was ready to kick it across the room.

Finally logged into router from my Hackintosh and it worked first time. Finally working well. Now to call Charter and see about the 60 meg service

they're trying to sell me.

Dave

Ok you guys.  How would you rate this router over going with something home brew like pfSense or untangle?  I'm not running either at this point but I'm running a fairly robust Zyxel Zwall USG-20.  It's a pain in the butt to map a port through it and it has no wireless.  I like that though.  I've been thinking of stepping up to AC but honestly I could use a roaming type system like a Ubiquity.  

Jason

Don't forget about Sophos. Have found it to be more stable than pfsense. Set and forget.

ikon

I don't think any consumer level router can compare to Untangle, pfSense, Sophos, etc. For one thing, they try to build too many features into the consumer products: wireless AP, firewall, router, Ethernet switch, etc. Even for $200 I don't think they can make a product that can compare. Also, it's a lot easier to have auto-updating of software routers/gateways/UTMs.

BSR

I try to mix the best of both worlds.  My PFSense is my main router and does a lot of the home network grunt-work (DHCP, Firewall, DNS, etc...)  I use a wireless access point to broadcast the signal, and not much else. 

When I wanted to add an 802.11AC piece to my network I would have bought another access point, but all the AC units I could find cost way more than a similar router.....hence the ASUS, which is set up as an access point.

ikon

Exactly BSR - it's cheaper to use a router as a Wireless AP than to buy a dedicated AP. The funny thing is, as far as I've been able to determine, and from what I've been told by some Tech Support reps at a few companies, their Wireless APs are basically the same hardware as the Wireless Routers - they just cripple the software a bit by removing access to some of the admin pages. I'm sure that's not true of ALL Wireless APs, but it seems to apply to many. Bottom line, if it's the same hardware, why pay more?