RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

ASUS RT-AC68R Refurbished for $139

awraynor

The new version is $219, through July the 5th the refurbished version is going for $139. I added the NewEgg coverage for $14 as the standard warranty is only 90 days

for the refurb. That gives me one year past the 90 days. I am using an older N protocol Netgear so this should be much better. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320177&cm_re=RT-AC68R-_-33-320-177-_-Product

BSR

Poor timing!  Just got a new one (at that $220 price) and it's already installed and working well, but I would have loved it $80 cheaper! 

Could you let me know a week earlier next time?  :P

awraynor

I'm usually a little weary about buying refurbished, but going to give this one a try. Yours is running well? Debated getting the Netgear Nighthawk,

the Linksys AC1900 or this. The much cheaper price helped to settle it. My older cheap N router just couldn't handle the network traffic.

If I was downloading on one computer, the other ones on the network couldn't even load web pages. Lately, the best thing I've done for

Chrome was to disable flash, it runs much better now. 

Now waiting for SlickDeals to get the deal on the Vizio wireless soundbar setup with sub they had a week ago. I should have pulled the trigger

on that one. I have an older Bose surround speaker with the front cubes, but really would like the wireless rear speaker on the Vizio.

BSR

It's only been a couple of days, but yes, it's great.  I recently got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and for some reason it wouldn't connect properly to my N access point (Cisco WAP321). 

It's the first device I've had an issue with on the Cisco, but I couldn't get the speed up to a level that was acceptable.  I've got three other laptops, four cell phones two cameras, and an iPad all pounding on that Cisco, and it's been absolutely rock-solid....until this.  I don't know what the issue is, but I think it's on the Surface side.  I could put a Lenovo laptop and my Surface right next to each other -- the Lenovo would get 5 bars of wifi and plenty of speed -- the Surface would be at 3 bars and downloading files (just from my NAS) was very painful.  I had an old Linksys router that I put up to test with and it connects  to that (802.11 G) just fine.

So I'd been thinking about getting an AC router for a while anyway (all our cell phones, the Surface and the iPad would go that fast).  That will split things nicely, with the laptops and cameras using the Cisco.  So far, I'm happy. 

awraynor

Sounds good. BTW, my sister-in-law was doing a triathalon in St. Louis this weekend, was the weather good or oppressive?

BSR

Not too bad.  My son had a birthday pool-party yesterday and we were worried it might rain, but it was just breezy and mid-80s.  Today was a bit warmer, and cloudier.

Tomorrow is going to be oppressive as hell -- 96 is the forecast.

Jason

Am still on an ASUS RT-N66U. How does this one compare? Worth the upgrade?

BSR

Depends on whether you need 802.11AC or not.  For me, we have 6 devices that can use the AC speed, so it was a good upgrade.  YMMV.

Jason

OK. I have no AC devices yet. Unless latest iPads are. Haven't even seen any.

awraynor

So today I get a coupon from NewEgg for select Netgear routers. I could have purchased the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for only 

$20 more than the refurbished Asus.