RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Third-party HDD or HP branded?

gpritchard

Hi all,

I've just bought an HP MicroServer G8 and a couple of Seagate 3TB drives to go with it (ST3000DM001); in the past three weeks I've experienced two issues whereby the RAID array has failed and iLO shows that both HD's have failed. Usually a reboot will bring one drive back up to healthy (in bay 2 usually) and sometimes another reboot will bring the other drive back up to healthy - I would then need to allow the array to repair itself (though I haven't yet allowed the repair to take place).

I've contacted HP regarding this issue and their response was that I should be using HP branded drives as they have special firmware that's on the drive caddy which will allow them to communicate more effectively with the B120i controller; HP drives are 4-5 times more expensive than the Seagate's that I am running and, from what I've been quoted, just one HP drive would be more expensive than the server itself - I'd love to run them but how can that cost be justified!

My question is, have you guys been running third party drives successfully and without issue and are any of you specifically running the ST3000DM001's?

It may be possible that one, or both, of my drives are faulty however the fact that a reboot will reset the health, usually on the drive in bay 2 first, back to healthy is making me think that there's something else at play.

Thanks for any responses,

Geoff

Edited by gpritchard

That's about the sorriest excuse from a support person I've ever heard. I'd RMA that box as it appears the board is bad. Does the Event Viewer in the OS show anything?

The users in this forum seem to lean towards the WD Red drives for their needs.

• Like 1

I was testing a QNAP TS-269L for a while and the drives you mentioned above are listed in the incompatible drive list. QNAP is claiming a high number of failures for that drive model.

The WD Reds are supposed to be made for storage devices like a NAS and most people seem to be having good luck with them.

If you don't like WD then you might try a couple enterprise drives from you preferred drive mfg. they will cost more but are probably cheaper than the HP branded drives.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys; much appreciated.

I'm running vSphere 5.5 (HP customised) and apart from seeing the usual health check alerts (for the failed hard disks/logical drive) within the vSphere Client and the corresponding iLO alerts there is nothing else of note. jmwills, I was thinking the same as you, that the controller/board is faulty considering that each time the server failed it would mark both hard disks as failed - especially since a reboot or two would bring them back to life - both hard disks failing at the same time seemed a little unlikely to me.

I'm in two minds at the moment on the best way to proceed; cskenny raises a good observation that many here are using WD Red's, which are probably more suited to the purpose of this server, so I could purchase these and cross my fingers that the hard disks are causing the issues I've been experiencing (especially if they do have a high failure rate); however I can't help but feel that the issue may be more central and caused by the controller as jmwills suggests.

It's almost midnight here in Aus so I might sleep on it and see what decision I can make tomorrow morning; any further thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Geoff

I'm running 3 ST3000DM001's in my Gen8 right now but it's in a testing setup (i.e. I'm not trusting production data to it):

gallery_1229_79_48796.jpg

The ST3000DM001's are running off of a P222/512 FBWC while I have the B120i loaded with:

gallery_1229_79_182917.jpg

None are HP drives.

I agree with CSKenney & JMWills about the Seagates and Reds -- I've experienced a high failure rate with the ST3000DM001's so if I was buying HDD's now for a production machine I would go with Reds or Enterprise drives that are made for RAID service.

FWIW: I'm now running 5 WD Red's in my N54L which is my production WHS2011 machine -- see my Sig line below -- (I had been running ST3000DM001's in the N54L until many started failing at the 17-21 month life)

Edited by Joe_Miner

If you do some quick searches, you can get 4TB WD Reds for $139 right now.  That's a great price.

Try reseating the SATA cables. If problem persists run Western Digital Data Lifeguard on the drives. I think it will run on Seagate drives.

Thanks everyone; sounds like the general consensus is that the ST3000DM001's aren't the best fit in this server and that WD Red's, or other NAS/Enterprise style, drives would be more appropriate. It may be easier to purchase some replacement drives (and I am thinking WD Red's since so many of you have been successfully using them) and see how they go and should I experience the same issues then I can RMA the server as jmwills suggests. Would you agree on that plan of attack?

Technogod, thanks for the suggestion - I completed that task the first time I experienced the issue but unfortunately it still keeps raising its ugly head!

jmwills, I can't seem to find the same pricing as you've found however it's likely because we pay a bit more for equipment over here in Australia - the cheapest I've been able to find the WD Red 3TB, in Australia, is $169. I can get them from US for $128 from www.excaliberpc.com and they've been pretty good to me in the past with deliveries arriving in only a few days (which is pretty awesome with international).

Joe_Miner, thanks for the screen-shots - pictures do tell a thousand words! What's your opinion on the B120i; it's a software RAID but would you trust it for a small business use case? I'm talking only 5 staff members. At what point would you suggest that going down the hardware raid, ie the P222, would be beneficial?

Are 4TB drives supported in the MS G8? I thought they were max 3TB however that just may be that HP hasn't had/tested their own 4TB drives yet..

Thanks for all of the answers so far guys and apologies for asking more questions! 

Geoff

-snip-

Joe_Miner, thanks for the screen-shots - pictures do tell a thousand words! What's your opinion on the B120i; it's a software RAID but would you trust it for a small business use case? I'm talking only 5 staff members. At what point would you suggest that going down the hardware raid, ie the P222, would be beneficial?

Are 4TB drives supported in the MS G8? I thought they were max 3TB however that just may be that HP hasn't had/tested their own 4TB drives yet..

-snip-

IMHO, the G8 MicroServer is a well designed SMB machine and I'd have no concerns using the B120i -- check the links pages and blog postings -- a lot of folks are using the B120i in many different configurations (check the postings on the SDM for instance) and it works quite well.  the advantage of going to the P222 (besides the "fun" factor) is if you want to work with additional drives and/or set up a raid5.  (with the p222 you can attach an additional 4 drives in and external case -- schoondoggy has some pictures of that setup using a sans digital box -- check the links page)

Again check the forums and links -- a number of people are running with 4TB drives off of their B120i's

BTW, new ST3000DM001's if operating properly should be no problem on a B120i, imho, I'm running three right now on the p222, it's just their long (or not so long) term reliability that I have become concerned about (as well as Seagate's shifting warranty period).  ymmv.