RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adventure in WIring discussion

usacomp2k3

• 2 weeks later...

Dude!!! I completely missed this story and I LOVE it! I have dreamed of how to construct a PVC system in a future home build (dream home that is). The only thing I had imagined that I don't see in yours would be to run fishing line with washers on either end to and from various locations. When you have a new wire to run, you link to the link with a new line at the other end and feed it through. You're wire is run and you have the line in place for the next addition. You already had high tech-respect from me but this takes you to a new level.

That's a really good idea. Something thin and strong. I'd probably change out the washer for a pulley on each end maybe. I couldn't quite figure out out to leave a line in there, but that's clever.

AJ that was a great story and I definitely appreciate your sharing your experiences with us.

IndyLux your idea sounds great but I just can't visualize it. Would each fishing line be a one time use run that simply gets pulled through with the new run of whatever new cable you need?

OK, let's use a three room example. Each room is labeled A, B, C and each room is connected by PVC. In the pipe going from room A to B, you run a fishing line. The washer/ring/whatever in room A has 'To B' on it and the end in room B has 'To A' on it. This pattern continues for each room to room connection. When you're ready to run a new wire from A to B, you hook the line to the new wire AND a replacement labeled line in room A. These two are pulled through by the original line in room B with the 'To A' line. When you're done, you have the new wire as well as a new running line ready for future expansion. You never have to 'feed' any wires again, you're always pulling which is easier.

An electricians fish tape would probably go through the PVC conduit easy enough to pull more wires, but leaving behind a line to pull the next wire is a nice idea too. Just don't let it get wound around the wire you pulled it with (like a twisted pair) or you won't be able to pull it through the next time.

The other thing I was wonder as I was talking with Chris earlier is whether the monofilament that he was talking about would bee sharp enough that it might cut into the insulation on another cable. There is a certain amount of pressure that is applied when pulling cables, which could very well be enough to slice into the thin outer insulation of a cat5 cable.

That said, the extra wire idea sounds like a good one.