RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA Controller for Home Server 2011 which will Boot

coxhaus

Yeah, that's what I was seeing too. But I get the cards for HBA cards. So they work great fro me.

However, that M501X does have onboard cache, and battery backup, and appear to support RAID5 just fine. For not too much more, and without flashing.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0738.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ibm+m5014

• 2 weeks later...

I had some trouble installing WHS 2011 with the LSI 9240-8i RAID card.  It took me a day of trying stuff.  I was getting the dreaded, win7 setup exited with 31, problem and WHS 2011 would not install.  I had only used LSI RAID cards using RAID in the past.  I tried configuring the LSI BIOS as a JBOD drive using the configuration wizard and loading the LSI windows 7 64 bit driver with no luck.  I even flashed the 9240 card with the latest BIOS which made no difference.  I finally discovered, if I turned the BIOS off on the LSI card and selected the drive, then in the drive parameters I selected JBOD and make bootable it seems to work.  At this point I was able to see the drive under my motherboard BIOS as well.  I also changed my USB on the motherboard to be legacy and not USB 2.0.  I also tried installing with an Intel 530 SSD 180 GB drive and it would not work for me giving me the same error above.  The SSD problem may have something to do with my old Intel S3210SHV motherboard as I don't think it had SSD support.

Using the LSI 9230-8i is going to let me use 4 TB drives with my old motherboard giving me another few years of use.  I was hopeful for SSD support but as long as I can use big drives it solves my problem. I am currently using a Seagate 500 GB Barracuda 7200 rpm drive.  Tonight I will install the 4 TB drive  as my wife is picking it up at Fry's right now.

I did not know there were 2 versions.  I just downloaded the latest firmware from LSI.  I used the MegaCLi to flash the card.  Should I done something else?  Which version did I end up with?

You need to use the IT version for it to be a JBOD card. I will find the firmware.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

In the link I posted above, the Serve the Home guys detail the process.

You should review this, I think your answer may be in this:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/

Part four of this series is about cross flashing LSI.

I just ran through section four, it has all the info and procedures:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

To make the card a pass through, you need to put the LSI 9211-IT firmware on it. You could do the LSI 9211-IR firmware if you think you may play with RAID. Currently, you have LSI 9240 firmware, for pass through, you would need to set each drive as JBOD.

LSI9211-IT = Straight pass through no RAID, best for ZFS file system etc
LSI9211-IR = Pass through as in IT mode, but you also have RAID options (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 1e and RAID 10), better for RAID 0 Windows boot SSDs etc, and possibly run Software RAID 5 on the other drives.
LSI9240 = default mode, only really useful feature this mode has is RAID1/ RAID 10, drives have to be set to JBOD (single) or RAID to be seen by OS, can be annoying when adding removing drives often.

I would not buy the LSI 9240-8i for RAID5 as it does not have a processor on it and would be too slow.  I figured out there are 2 ways to define JBODs on this card.  If you use the wizard configurator then it builds a RAID version of JBOD which can be added to or expanded but requires the BIOS to run.  If you go into the BIOS at boot up time you are able to define each drive as a regular JBOD drive by selecting the drive and marking JBOD and bootable then turn off the BIOS in the controller card and I think the 9240 card behaves like a 9211 card.  It seemed to have worked for me.

Edited by coxhaus

I think it's a little extreme to say a RAID card without a CPU is too slow to run RAID5. Sure, in an enterprise, you probably want to only have full-blown Hardware RAID cards (with CPU and battery backup, probably cache RAM as well), but with home servers I think it's reasonable to use Firmware RAID cards to do RAID5 - most people at home are not looking for top-end performance.

ikno, I guess there is a difference for home use vs production sites.  The home user does not have as stiff of a requirement for speed as full production in an office.  Also really thinking about all this the processors have so many core now that software RAID is not as big of a deal as in the past.

My old RAID5 card with 256 meg ECC cache and 6 drives was faster than my current LSI 9240 card. The problem with the old RAID system is the drives ran for about 6 years and started to fail. Also my wife was tried of the noise from my rack in the closet.  I decided to down size with something which would support big drives as I only really needed drive space. Speed was never a concern for my home system as there is almost no load on the system. Even though the new LSI 9240 card is rated for the new higher speed drives my old RAID 5 was faster.  I think the write cache and memory cache made the difference.  All the equipment in my rack is battery backed up with a big APC rack mount UPS. 

For a home user, it probably makes no difference.  I am slowly coming around in my retirement.  Old habits are hard to break.

Edited by coxhaus