RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA Controller for Home Server 2011 which will Boot

coxhaus

Does anybody know of a good SATA controller for Windows Home Server 2011 which will run 4000 GB drives. I feel I don't need RAID with 4 TB drives but I would like the controller to be able to boot.

My old RAID 5 has run way too many years and the drives are starting to fail. I would now like to switch to 4 TB drives.

I would buy a new motherboard but my Home Server is OEM and tied to my current motherboard.

Looks like there are several M1015 cards on eBay so I think I will get one.  I wonder where I can find SATA cables for these cards in the US?

I noticed a lot of LSI 9240 cards for less money.  Do you have any idea how they compare?

Edited by coxhaus

The 9240 is 4 port the M1015 is 8 port. The M1015 is a LSI 9220 8i. You can compare them on the LSI website. The STH tutorial does some comparison as well.

For cables I go to eBay and search on LSI SFF8087. You need fan out/forward breakout cables like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LSI-3Ware-CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M-SFF-8087-to-SATA-Cable-Bulk-/200541392883?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item2eb132cff3

I just ordered the LSI 9240-8i card off eBay for $94.  It was just as cheap as the IBM M1015 cards right now.  I also bought the SATA cables recommended by you.  Thanks for the help.  I will let you know how it works out.

• Like 2

That's a good deal! Sometimes the popularity of the M1015 drives the price up. Lets us know how it goes or if you need help.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the m1015's are very popular. I just bought two more for fairly cheap... so I have three. Great cards, though I have them flashed to "IT" mode, which means absolutely no RAID for me. I also didn't flash the management firmware, so they're literally just a non-RAID controller card. Boots up very quickly. :)

Great cards. :)

+1 on the M1015. But look elsewhere if you eventually plan to go RAID5. These cards require a daughter/unlock card to enable the feature. Also, performance isn't all that good at RAID5, or so I've read. But for JBOD or drive pooling software, granted that you've flashed it, it's perfect.

I would've added another card if my motherboard had an extra PCIe slot.

Actually, if you cross flash them to the "IR" mode, they'd do RAID5. And you can find the unlock cards for dirt cheap on ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xm1015+advanced+feature&_nkw=m1015+advanced+feature&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Otherwise, the IBM ServeRAID M5014 or M5015 would be a good buy (but more expensive)

It is more to do with poor RAID5 write performance on this card than anything. Something about it bad at XOR function and/or it didn't have a write cache, or something along those lines.