RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

WD Red 4TB 3.5" SATA 64MB Hard Drive #WD40EFRX US $139.99

schoondoggy

It is a very good price. My only concern is they have them listed as OEM drives, but they are listing a 3 year manufacturers warranty. Usually, OEM drives do not have the standard 3 year manufacturers warranty. I sent a message to the seller to ask if they had tried registering one of the drives with WD to verify the warranty. These will probably sell out before I get a reply.

jmwills

Good catch.

Taffeys

Great find! Already has sold 576 of them. Good old Supply & Demand at work. WD, Seagate, and Toshiba have announced and/or shipped 5TB and 6TB LFF HDDs, most identified as "next-generation enterprise".

Edited by Taffeys

schoondoggy

The seller emailed back and confirmed that they do have a three year warranty from WD.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

They still have stock.

Drashna Jaelre

That doesn't surprise me at all :) 

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

Notice, this line (EFRX) supports a 3 year warrant for "component" drives. Probably another phrasing for "OEM". 

hoorah

I've seen this deal popping up as I've been searching for the same drive.

The reviews for the ebay seller are terrible.  Poor packaging and lots of DOA drives.  After a similar deal on 2TB drives from the same seller many people on slickdeals were recommending staying away.

Sorry to rain on the parade.

schoondoggy

Don't be sorry, its good information. When I buy drives on eBay I usually send a note to the seller defining proper packaging for drives.

ikon

schoondoggy brought up an excellent point. With WD drives, you also have to be careful about the country designation for each drive. If you live in country A and have a drive that WD says belongs to country B, you can have some issues getting warranty service. They will allow up to 5 'out of region' drive warranty exchanges per year, but it's something to consider.

awraynor

The 3TB Reds are going for this price on NewEgg. May have to stick with them for  now.