RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ts140 Configuration/Build help

mailman1988

Aparan,

Upon looking at my Ts140, I found that I had 2 Power cable that had 3 adapters each. This covered all 6 power leads.

Maybe you did not get the correct connector or didn't see the adapters on the cables.

So my TS140 came with a Pre-Installation Disk for OS.

I gave it a try. You select and input the OS (Server 2008 is a choice, but not 2011), Domain info or Workgroup, your product Key and more.

Than, when prompted, you insert the OS install disk, which begains to load. All seemed good, but after a few reboots, the Batch file Errored out and the process basically failed.

I believe the purpose of the disk is to automate the process, Install the correct drivers, Install the UEFI-Bios stuff and more.

As this process had failed, I went and did a traditional install of 2011, manually installed the NIC & board drivers and got it going.

Anyone had luck on the Lenovo Pre-Install option? and is this a better way to install on this system?

WHS 2011 is a flavor of Server 2008R2.  At some point, you should have been prompted to insert the OS installation disk if this is anything like the old Dell server setup discs.

Aparan,

Upon looking at my Ts140, I found that I had 2 Power cable that had 3 adapters each. This covered all 6 power leads.

Maybe you did not get the correct connector or didn't see the adapters on the cables.

Mine has the same, two black cables three SATA each:

40494c.jpg

When I used the Pre-installation disk, it did ask for the WHS 2011 disk. Which it read, installed and then rebooted, At some point after a reboot, a cmd window was running a batch file, which error'd out, it was in a loop looking for a file/folder that did not exist. I will retry this and take better notes.

My question is, should I be concerned about getting this procedure to run? I believe it loads in some remote management stuff in along with the correct drivers.

Or is it loading in a back door spyware created by the Chinese Government? LOL  One never knows.

If you get the OS installed and get it so there are no unresolved issues with Device Manager, I can't imagine why you would need the Lenovo disk.

Thanks to the great info & reviews here, I grabbed a TS140 ($373 for the Xeon E3-1225 version, 4Gb, no drives). 

My HP Microserver N40L was getting too taxed - WHS, Plex, and 5 security cams feeding Blue Iris we too much for the poor little thing. I truly loved that server - not just because I'm an HPer - it really was a solid little box. But the non-upgradeable processor meant I was stuck. The newer gen8 Microservers with socketed processors looked good ... but I couldn't get a decent price ($509 for the G2020T version w/2Gb). 

The TS140 came with 4Gb, the Xeon E3-1225 ... so I'm getting somewhere north of 2.5x the performance at around $150 less. 

NOW FOR THE BEST PART ... 

I decided to be totally optimistic and a little reckless and move the existing 4-drives from the N40L over to the TS140. I totally expected this to be a bust and have to do a clean install ... but lo and behold, it booted up. I just needed to update drivers from the TS setup disk and I was off to the races.

My external 4-drive eSATA box was a little trickier - had to play around with adding an eSATA card (I have 3, the RocketRaid 2314 with July 2013 drivers did the trick- couldn't get my Sonnet or SIIG to work). Next step ... upgrade that card to a SATA III. 

I had to do a license transfer for StableBit DrivePool (one click and it was done) and do the same kind of license re-activation with Blue Iris... also one click and done. Clicked on Windows Activation, activated online, and done. I'm watching DrivePool do some maintenance now, but other that that ... it was about as seamless and easy as it could possibly have been. 

I'm kind of flabbergasted that it all worked - and kicking myself that I didn't do this sooner.  Watching BlueIris now clocking in at 22% CPU usage vs. 95%, and all other functions are working much more quickly. RDC login is practically instantaneous. Dashboard is also quick. 

• Like 1

You could sell the N40L, or use it as WHS2011 or WSE2012(r2) box to handle Client Computer Backups and non-media file sharing, or use it as a backup destination for the data on your TS140.

• Like 1

You could sell the N40L, or use it as WHS2011 or WSE2012(r2) box to handle Client Computer Backups and non-media file sharing, or use it as a backup destination for the data on your TS140.

Great suggestions... I'll probably go the sell route. I have the 4Gb stick from the TS (moved my 8Gb from the NL40L to the TS) so it's a complete box. My only regret will be power consumption - I was soooo happy with how the 150W N40L just sipped power - hopefully the 280W TS140 won't be a big hit on my electricity bill!