RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Back up Shares to Online Cloud Storage

Hi all,

I want to back up specific shares to an online back up such as OneDrive or Amazons Cloud storage.

How is everyone else achieving this?

I was considering installing the cloud app supplied by MS or Amazon, and then using SyncToy, if it will run to copy over the files. This could then be automated using a schedule. I haven't tested this so I'm not sure if SyncToy will even run, although I can't see why it wouldn't.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples solutions.

Thanks

Michael.

Edited by mdresser
jcollison

With services like Dropbox and OneDrive, I have installed the client software on the server.  You can set whatever drives you like to sync.  Don't have to worry about schedules.   No issues with OneDrive.  Sometime get a syncing error with Dropbox that is fixed by stopping and starting the service.

Doing this on WHS 2011.  Will be testing it on WS2012R2e very soon.

There just doesn't seem to be a perfect solution as far as I can tell. This could be due to the fact that OneDrive isn't really meant to be used as a backup source.

I tried Allway Sync and that worked, although it was very slow. When it finished and I tried to sync again it told me the destination files were all newer and started to sync again. I couldn't find away around this.

I looked at Cloudberry and Amazon S3 but that seemed expensive for both the software and Amazon S3 storage,

I don't want to use the OneDrive app as I don't want to have all my pictures in a sub-directory.

I did find a small piece of software called SyncDriver which seems to do the job and has a small footprint. It's been running for 12 hours now and is still syncing my pictures, will see what happens when it's completed.