RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

S2008R2 Issues

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I'd do the BIOS reset. Then I'm wondering about the PSU. It'd be nice if there was another one handy that you could swap in. But you said there isn't one handy.

When I suspect mobo issues, I unplug the power cord and then hold the power button for about 10 seconds or so to drain off any stored capcitive charge. I'd let it sit for another 10-20 secs before plugging back in and giving it another shot.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

1. Do you have another, known-working computer you can try the GPU in?

2. Do you have another, known-working computer with a GPU that you can 'borrow' temporarily?
  3. Do you have another, known-working computer you can borrow the PSU from?
  4. Have you tried each of the RAM sticks individually to see if any of them work?

I checked every pin on the power supply to the motherboard and the CPU and they all had the proper voltages.

I removed every stick of ram and tested them one by one.

I tried unplugging the power cord and holding the power button as dvn suggested.

I tried another GPU.

None of that made any difference.

Final test was to reset CMOS. This seems to have made things worse. Now when I power it on, the computer begins to start and then turns off after three seconds. After two seconds it then tries to start again but powers off after three seconds. It is a continuous loop. I left it on for about five minutes once and it was still in the loop.

Outside of HDD's and SSD's I have never had any hardware failures so this is not something I have experience with. Does this sound like it is the MB?

Unfortunately, yeah, it does sound like the motherboard here. If you've tested everything else.....

Though, have you disconnected all the disks, and see if it at least finishes booting?

Yes, I have disconnected all the disks. even the one with the OS. I have even tried it with the video card and another video card I know works, both being removed and installed.

Dang, now do I replace the MB since everything in the machine is high end or do I scrap the entire thing and go with new hardware? I hate decisions like this because I usually choose the one with the most work.

Check the warranty on the board. That's pretty much ALWAYS the first thing to do.

If this is the "S2008R2" system in your signature, and the EVGA board, then it looks like the board has a 3 year warranty. If it's still under warranty, then that would be the simplest method. But that CPU looks to be launched at the end of 2008.... so you may be SOL there....

My recommendation would be see if you can find a comparable motherboard and swap it out. That.... or yes, start from scratch. Well, the RAM and drives would be fine, but ....

This was bought in 2009 so no to the warranty. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

I may have hit a snag on replacing the board. It seems there aren't many to choose from. Anyone know if I am doing this wrong?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007887&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201366

My processor is

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache,

Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield

I may have hit a snag on replacing the board. It seems there aren't many to choose from. Anyone know if I am doing this wrong?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007887&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201366

My processor is

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache,

Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield

There's a wider selection here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D1048424&field-keywords=1366&rh=n%3A1048424%2Ck%3A1366