RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Box Dead

mysticgeek

Well, the absolute worst thing every happened last night. We had a major storm pass though and my Router fried along with my WHS version box.

Yes it was plugged into an APC UPS but still something happened where it is no longer working. No power at all... dead.

I was hoping it was only the power supply... but I replaced it... and still dead. I then put the power supply from the WHS into another machine and it works perfectly.

I have a "franken build" of sorts. It's a Lenovo H210 budget series with a x64 processor. Then it has a 320GB internal drive and 2 1 TB USB drives. I am quite certain the mobo is done for. I have another box that I am testing Vail on, but I think I need to blow away the HD and install WHS 1 in it. Thankfully I have everything backed up.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one guys? If I reinstall WHS Version 1 on a new box, will it see the data on the USB drives? Oh... what a mess! Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks guys.

I believe one of the nice things about WHS Version 1 is you can take any of the data drives and connect them to another PC and access the files on the drives. This would allow you pull the files off if necessary, but it should also allow you to connect them to another WHS V1 box.

I am just recalling what I have heard others mention. As a side note, Vail does not allow the same such access. You can not pull a Vail data drive and plug it into any other PC. You can only access the data using WHS Vail.

Make sure you do a bit of research before you start to restore your server. You might want to do a search on both the blogs and the forums as we have covered this topic several times. This isn't the first time this has happened to someone. It's a good learning experience as long as you don't panic!

If you want need some help over the phone, you can DM me and we can chat over skype. I've done this a few times myself with various builds. Diehard would be an expert as well.

If your drives are good, you should be able to put them in a new server, remember which one is the OS drive, install that drive 1st. Then unistall the connector software from your PC or the reinstall will fail. Then do a Server Recovery. That option will keep your data drives intact. do not do the Factory Reset option, that will delete all data on all drives including USB drives. What's nice with a home build is that you can connect a monitor to see what's going on.

Let us know how you proceed.

I believe one of the nice things about WHS Version 1 is you can take any of the data drives and connect them to another PC and access the files on the drives. This would allow you pull the files off if necessary, but it should also allow you to connect them to another WHS V1 box.

I am just recalling what I have heard others mention. As a side note, Vail does not allow the same such access. You can not pull a Vail data drive and plug it into any other PC. You can only access the data using WHS Vail.

You recalled it right. This will work.

If your drives are good, you should be able to put them in a new server, remember which one is the OS drive, install that drive 1st. Then unistall the connector software from your PC or the reinstall will fail. Then do a Server Recovery. That option will keep your data drives intact. do not do the Factory Reset option, that will delete all data on all drives including USB drives. What's nice with a home build is that you can connect a monitor to see what's going on.

Let us know how you proceed.

This is probably the better and easier method though.

Yeah unfortunately one of the External Drives is hosed as well. Doh! I am finding more and more wrong as I assess the situation.

I have my server connected to an APC UPS also. Maybe how it got to your router and computer is not through the power but through your phone line (DSL) or cable ine. Now that you bring this up, I realize I don't have my cable line protected. Not even sure how to do that.

Mike

I have my server connected to an APC UPS also. Maybe how it got to your router and computer is not through the power but through your phone line (DSL) or cable ine. Now that you bring this up, I realize I don't have my cable line protected. Not even sure how to do that.

Mike

Heh... you're totally correct. I don't have the phone lines running through the surge protector! Oh man... a learning experience indeed. Too bad it had to be such a costly one. When I rebuild I am going to re-evaluate my surge protection. Although it didn't blow out the modem...weird

A bit of history... I I had a Lenovo box with WHS installed on the C: drive and two external USB 1 TB drives connected to it.

Well, being an impatient geek that I am, what I did was take the C: Drive out of the WHS that failed. I stuck that in a different Acer box and installed the drivers for it.

One of the External Drives that was in the pool which wasn't being recognized. So I cracked the enclosure and installed it as an internal drive. From here everything "appears fine". I am able to access the shares through any computer on my system, except through my main PC which is a Core i3 running Win7 Ultimate x64.

I took the advice of uninstalling WHS Connector from all the machines first. Now I only have WHS connector installed on my main Core i3 and I am able to remote into WHS fine through the console. However, I cannot access the shared drives at all.

But like I said, I can access the shares with no problem from my netbook, two other desktops, a laptop, and a couple VMs.

I am sure it is user error, as I just wanted to experiment and see what would happen to get things backup. I certainly have a Franken Build now. Without trying to be too confusing...anyone have a suggestion to be able to access the shares from my main i3 machine? I added it as a user, and can even backup the machine...but get a Windows cannot access \\Geekserver network error.

sshot-2010-06-18-[18-34-38].png