RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
c0op3r

Which of the OEM WHS are 64bit?

c0op3r

I was listening to the last PODcast, the one with the discussion about MS discounting WHS v1 lately (#94?) and the guys were talking about that maybe it was getting closer to the 'Vail' release. This got me thinking WHS v1 is 32bit, so the migration to WHS v2 will not be possible for some of the earlier OEM machines.

Now mind you I do not know about all the OEM machines and what of them are 32bit, 64bit, CPU upgrade-able. I recently changed out the P4(HT) processors in my two WHS machines, for Pentium D Procs as they are 64bit (not to mention CHEAP). But my machine are both socket 775, so my CPU choices are pretty wide, what is it going to be like on the OEM machines?

Guest no-control

All of the HP MSS, Acer easystore & Asus TS are all 64-bit processors. So all should be able to run Vail.

mrossco

I recall from pre-Release that Microsoft imposed a 64-bit requirement on all OEMs. What I don't know if this translates into an upgrade capability to Vail.

jmwills

Most of the Atom based processors will run the x64 OS but at some point, IMO, you start to run the trade off between Green and efficiency

Guest no-control

you start to run the trade off between Green and efficiency

Isn't this one in the same? :blink:

cskenney

Isn't this one in the same? :blink:

I think he was implying an Atom may be less efficient at doing a task (like transcoding verses a Core i3 or i5) in exchange for being Green.

Guest no-control

ahhh...got it