RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NIC Teaming

Trig0r

Anyone else had a play with this when running 2012r2?

I currently have an addon card for my VM's to use and then maybe team both of the onboards to get as much speed through as possible, mainly to my PC as that also has teamed Intel cards in it.

I could if i had too, for speeds sake, team the onboards for VM's to use and then stick an Intel 350 or one of the PT1000 dual ports in instead of the single port GB card that I use for VM's at the mo...

If you're using HyperV for the VMs.... there is an option on the NIC to support teaming in the VM.

Another option is to create separate virtual networks and attach them to multiple NICs individually.  Personally, I've never gotten teamed NICs to perform that much better, and I've had a lot of issues with them configuration-wise, though this was some time ago.  Most team modes require a compatible switch as well.

Some modes need a switch some dont, I would expect better than ~87Mb/sec tho, unless we're looking at limitations of the Gen8 controller perhaps?

No, i mean some Teaming modes are switch dependant, some arent, thats how I read it anyways, feel free to drop a link, point and laugh :)

Edited by Trig0r

To me, the real question is "Are you going to use that much bandwidth?"

Seriously, it takes a lot to max a 1Gbps connection off a Microserver, let alone teamed 1Gbps NICs.  I suppose if you were running multiple 100Mbps security cameras that weren't set to motion-activated only, or if you were doing multiple HD Netflix streams direct to it (I've seen a single HD Netflix stream chew 15Mbps-25Mbps), but it takes quite a bit of work to max a gig.

I have the second NIC unplugged and disabled on my Gen8.  Not worth it, I can't max the server streaming 1080p from it to my HTPC, even if I was downloading a Windows Service Pack to it at the same time.

I have 1 team for VM's (one of which is plex so streaming to upto 8 devices) and then my main machine, I throw 3gb+ files around a fair bit.

Plus I have the network cards to do it, so why the hell not :D

I get it if you're doing two different subnets --that would make sense to me, though that doesn't appear to be your mission

Otherwise, it's only as fast as what's on the other end.  And I would want a switch that supports link aggregation if I was going to team, like at least the basic HP PS1810-8G.