RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't connect any computer to my Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Need Help!

StillGrey

the ping with ipv6 is expected and normal.  Time issues give a different error.  ALL of your problems are because you installed additional stuff.  Everything you are trying to do with Essentials is run by Internet Services.  Now it is possible to have additional web servers or services, but it is not for the weak at heart :)  It is possible to do Essentials on just 443 but you said if you type HTTPS://servername/connect you still get a password prompt.  You it looks like in your case whatever else you installed also broke 443/HTTPS

It will be much easier to reinstall Essentials rather than try to remove everything else you have done and try to repair it.  After it is up and running properly, you could do a full backup and try adding the other things you wanted.  But install them on alternate ports like 8080 and 444 (444 if it requires "S")

I do not know what web services you installed, but I think even what you installed would not ask for a username and password, hence I think permissions are messed up and even removing your extras it would still be broken

doliveira, I really wish you'd mentioned in your first post that you've modified the web services. It could have saved a lot of time.

Basically, when you set up a new server, you should make sure all the basic stuff is working (client backups, file sharing, remote access, etc.), and you have a good, tested backup before messing with any Services or Roles. As StillGrey recommended, I would reinstall from scratch. This time:

1. immediately after getting the server installed, go into the DashBoard on the server and do a Server Backup;
  2. after the backup is complete, do a Restore from the backup, to make sure it works;
  3. install the Connector on your Client PCs;
  4. do a backup of each of your Client PCs;
  5. do a test Restore of your Client PCs, preferably to a spare HDD, and make sure it works;
  6. check access to the default shared folders on the server -- make sure every Client PC can read and write to the shares;
  7. do all the updates to the server;
  8. set up Remote Access if desired and test it;
  9. back the server up again;
  10. do another Restore of the server;
  11. test your Clients again;
  12. if all that works, look into adding Services or Roles if you really want to.

If it's not completely obvious by this point, let me state it clearly: setting up a server should be done in a methodical, step-wise way, verifying each step as you go. Don't just randomly decide to make some change or addition to a server -- plan it out first. Patience is a virtue when setting up computers :)