RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't connect any computer to my Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Need Help!

doliveira

Hi,

In a simple way, i have made a new and clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on my office local server and i can't access to the Connect page from any of my office local desktop computers and i also can't get connect to Anywhere access from outside my office to the Remotewebaccess login page. Instead of getting the fancy Windows Server login page im getting a blank login page and when insert user login i get a blank 404 page.

Since i have try from different local and outside of my office computers and the reuslt is always the same, the problem must be on the server side.

Please note that on the Windows Server the VPN and Anywhereaccess are already setup and it shows that the setup is working properly.

Bellow i send 3 image screenshots of what im seeing. The first 2 images are from the login pages i get when i try to login from computers inside my office network by typping on the browser the server name /connect and the other image is the blank http 404 error page i get after i login with a user.

I really appreciate if anyone can help me on this. It must be some kind of setting on the Windows Server that is causing this.

Any advice or idea on how to resolve this?

Note: There is a user on this forum that had the same problem but he was using Windows Server 2012 Standard instead of the Essentials. The topic is located at: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7318-server-2012-connector-software-error/

Thanks

login-1.jpg

login-2.jpg

after-login.jpg

Edited by doliveira

The first thing I see is you are trying to access the server over port 80 (http) instead of port 443 (https). 

Can yo ping the server?  Does the hostname resolve over an nslookup command?

The first thing I see is you are trying to access the server over port 80 (http) instead of port 443 (https). 

Can yo ping the server?  Does the hostname resolve over an nslookup command?

Hi jmwillis,

Thanks for your help.

About access over port 80 instead of port 443, i have also try to access using port 443 with https, but the result is the same.

About ping the server, yes i can ping and traceroute my server from a computer located inside my office network. Bellow are the results:

------

C:\>ping servidorhp

Pinging servidorhp [fe80::343e:f0c:74e0:bf2f%3] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::343e:f0c:74e0:bf2f%3: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::343e:f0c:74e0:bf2f%3:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>tracert servidorhp

Tracing route to servidorhp [fe80::343e:f0c:74e0:bf2f%3]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  servidorhp [fe80::343e:f0c:74e0:bf2f]

Trace complete.
------

About nslookup command im not sure on how to do it. I have try to type on the same computer on my office network on cmd nslookup "myservername" and i send you the result bellow. I don't know what it means, because my server IP is 192.168.0.10 and on nslookup im getting 192.168.0.1 that is my router IP. Anyway its the first time i use the command nslookip, so if i need to use it in a different way, please tell me.

-------------
C:\>nslookup servidorhp
168.192.in-addr.arpa
        primary name server = localhost
        responsible mail addr = root.cabovisao.pt
        serial  = 2008072301
        refresh = 28800 (8 hours)
        retry   = 14400 (4 hours)
        expire  = 3600000 (41 days 16 hours)
        default TTL = 86400 (1 day)
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.0.1

*** UnKnown can't find servidorhp: Non-existent domain

C:\>
-------------

Hope this information can help you helping me resolving my issue. 

If you need any more information fell free to ask.

Thanks

Why is PING responding with the IP6 address of the server instead of IP4? Is IP4 enabled on the server and all your clients? Try pinging 192.168.0.10.

Why is PING responding with the IP6 address of the server instead of IP4? Is IP4 enabled on the server and all your clients? Try pinging 192.168.0.10.

Hi,

I also found strange to show IP6 results instead of IP4. It must be a server related issue because i have a lot of computer clients that where working with an older server with IP4.

Do you think the issue is related with this IP6? If yes, how can i disable it on the server and have just IP4 running?

As you have requested i send bellow the results of Ping and also Traceroute from one of my clients PC that is running Windows 8.1 Enterprise:

-------------

C:\>ping 192.168.0.10

Pinging 192.168.0.10 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>tracert 192.168.0.10

Tracing route to SERVIDORHP [192.168.0.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  SERVIDORHP [192.168.0.10]

Trace complete.

C:\>

-------------

Disable IP6 on the server the same way you would do it on Win7 -- go into the properties of the NIC and uncheck IP6.

Disable IP6 on the server the same way you would do it on Win7 -- go into the properties of the NIC and uncheck IP6.

Hi,

According to your advice i went to my server NIC properties and uncheck the IP6.

Now the results of the Traceroute show IP4, but the problem still remains the same. Im getting the same results.

Do you have any more advices on this? Both you that reply to this topic are helping me a lot and i don't know if you are a company that provides paied support services, but any of you could help me by logging in using for example Teamviewer on my server to try to help me solve this problem? Do i need to pay or can you do a quick check for free? If anyone of the two are willing to do this i would really appreciate.

If any of you do not want to access my server i still aprecciate if you could help me by tell me more advices here on the forum.

Once again hanks

Edited by doliveira

You should not get a login prompt at servername/connect  Have you installed any other web server "things"?  Have you changed any access permissions or moved any folders?  The easiest thing to do would be to reinstall and start over.

That said, if you want to try to troubleshoot it you can download this script/tool and run it on the server and post the results back here.

Put the file somewhere you can find it on the server, then start an admin PowerShell and go where the file is.

To execute the script you will need to set your Execution Policy to RemoteSigned (Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned) and then enter, .\EssentialsTester.ps1 at the prompt.

Does the Time Zone for the server and clients match?  Disabling IPV6 should not make any difference.

You should not get a login prompt at servername/connect  Have you installed any other web server "things"?  Have you changed any access permissions or moved any folders?  The easiest thing to do would be to reinstall and start over.
That said, if you want to try to troubleshoot it you can download this script/tool and run it on the server and post the results back here.

Put the file somewhere you can find it on the server, then start an admin PowerShell and go where the file is.
To execute the script you will need to set your Execution Policy to RemoteSigned (Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned) and then enter, .\EssentialsTester.ps1 at the prompt.

Hi StillGrey,

Yes i have installed some things over the server roles related with web. Maybe the problem is because of that. 

About permissions or folder i did not change anything. I think it must be related with some roles / application i have installed.

Any idea of what i may have installed that can cause this?

Does the Time Zone for the server and clients match?  Disabling IPV6 should not make any difference.

Hi,

Both the server and all desktop computer are windows computers and are set to automatic get the time from the internet, so i think all the time is the same on all machines.

And yes, disabling IPv6 did not resolve anything.

Any other solution or advice?

Thanks