RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hoorah

My new gaming/desktop 'build'

hoorah

Looks like I just decided to upgrade.  Went to drop off some old computer cases at our local e-waste drop off.  This thing stood out a bit as it looked too new to be thrown in the trash.

On further inspection, its got:

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

I7 3770K CPU

16GB DDR3 1333

Some Corsair case and corsair AIO water cooling setup, missing a side panel and hard drive trays

850W Corsair PSU

Quadro 600 GPU

No hard drive.

Broken?  Nope.  Hosed it down with compressed air, stuck a hard drive in and booted it up.  Installed windows just fine.  I took a look at temps in the BIOS and they don't seem to be rising but I will want to inspect this water cooling setup quickly just to make sure it wasn't thrown away for overheating.

If good it gets the SSD and my 7850 from my current desktop and becomes my new rig.

0CAYem6.jpg?1

• Like 1

jmwills

Wow....nice find

awraynor

Haven't been that lucky before. I'd more likely find the beige one on the bottom of the picture.

schoondoggy

The county I live in had a electronic recycling center. I would loose my mind working there. Once its dropped off it must be recycled. One day while I was dropping off a ten years old printer,the guy next to me dropped off two old CRT TV and a computer. I asked about the computer, 'don't buy Dell, they are junk, less than a year old and Dell would not fix it!'. He went on to describe a series of software issues that he was convinced were hardware issues, i7 Dell SSD 8 GB 1TB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,scrapped.

Sent from my HP Slate 8 Pro using Tapatalk

hoorah

Haven't been that lucky before. I'd more likely find the beige one on the bottom of the picture.

Ha, that beige one is actually a core 2 duo E6300 that was going to a friend a little down on his luck that needed a computer.  Despite the super ugly case its somewhat interesting to me considering that was from my first ever DIY PC build over 15 years ago with a Pentium II 350mhz.  That case has gone through so many upgrades and been used by half of my family, each time being given back after they are done with it.  I can't get rid of it.  The friend that was supposed to take it bailed on meeting me and it went back into my collection.

The i7 find is definitely an anomaly.  

oj88

Me thinks, angry parent punishing a gamer child for performing poorly in school. :D

Seriously, you've just hit the jackpot. Where I live, you can't possibly find that sort of thing in flea markets, let alone just lying around for anyone to pick up.

ikon

Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket too. That is a seriously great find. Wish I had that kind of luck.

• Like 1

jmwills

What's the old saying?  "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

ikon

Yeah, but hard to imagine this as trash in any context.

awraynor

Put my 5 year old grill in front of the house for trash pickup tomorrow. within 30 minutes someone pulled up and took it.

Now they got a prize at least as good as an i7 ;)