RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Replacing OS Raid 0 with SSD

upsidedowncake

Hello all -

Couple of questions.  I have a spare SSD after replacing the boot drive from my main desktop.  I currently have two 60 GB drives in Raid 0 on my WHS 2011 server and will take those out and restore to the SSD.  I have it backed up using the server backup in WHS.  So my question is, do I need to do anything to the drives before shutting my server down and pulling the drives out?  Along those lines, do I need to do anything to the RAID 6 arrays with all of my data or can I just pull those drives out while it's shutdown and reinstall them after the OS is completed?  Appreciate any help.

Drashna Jaelre

That depends more on whatever is creating the RAID.

Some systems don't respond well to changing between AHCI and RAID modes.... and some RAID modes don't let you pass the disks through. So it depends on your chipset.

As for the data drives... those should be fine, as long as you don't mess with that array.

ikon

As Drashna said, it depends. For example, did you create the RAID0 using the BIOS/UEFI or did you use Disk Manager?

If you used BIOS, you should be able to blow the array using the BIOS and restore to the SSD. This is based on the idea that WHS2011 isn't even aware of the underlying RAID structure. However, again as Drashna said, you have to be careful about AHCI. Some systems object to switching back and forth.

upsidedowncake

Thank you both.  I'll go in to the BIOS and double check, but I'm reasonably certain I created the RAID in BIOS and that it is not set to AHCI.  Do I risk damaging the system, or would the restore to the SSD just fail?  I've been having some weird issues with remote web access (I've posted here before on that and couldn't solve it) so was tempted to do just a fresh clean install anyway on the SSD, worst case if the restore fails it isn't the end of the world to me.  The only real problem is getting everything reinstalled and set back up so the folder structures and everything else is recognized by WHS.  I have two Rocket Dock's doing the RAID for the data drives, would the RAID array's need to be rebuilt after a fresh install or would it be recognized after booting and reinstalling the rocket dock software?

Appreciate the help.

ikon

If you created the array in the BIOS then it would not be AHCI.

I don't think it's a case of damaging the system so much. If you restore an backup that was created while the system was in RAID mode, but have the BIOS set to AHCI, it may just not boot up.

I think your Rocket Docks should be fine. I would disconnect them while doing a Restore or Install, just to keep things clean, then reconnect them after the OS is up and running.

A fresh install might be a good idea in any case, so the Installer will be aware it's an SSD and configure itself appropriately (TRIM support, etc.).

upsidedowncake

Thanks ikon.  I think a fresh install is what I need anyway, so probably going with that approach.

ikon

Let us know how it goes.

upsidedowncake

Everything is up and running again, no loss of data at all so that's great.  I forgot about the 160 GB minimum though so the SSD didn't work.  I had found a work around but ended up just reinstalling on a 320 GB drive that I had and it's running well.  My issues (if you remember a post from many months ago) with my Remote Web Access not working have all been resolved.  Not sure what was causing the issues but it's running well now.  Thanks for everyone's help.

ikon

There is a way around that 160GB requirement - it's been posted about on the forums quite a bit. Also, you likely could use Acronis or something similar to clone that 320GB HDD to the SSD - it should take care of adjusting the partitions to fit.

upsidedowncake

Yeah, I found a work around with a USB drive that got it to install, but I'm going to end up using the extra space on the D: drive.  I don't really need the SSD in the server, I just had it after upgrading the SSD in my desktop.  Will probably hang on to it for if/when I build an HTPC.