RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup family members laptops

Serg

Is there a way I can backup laptops to my Windows Home Server 2011 of family members without joining the laptops to my server, because they don't need an extra folder in Documents, music, videos,etc. of my server, I just want to have the first backup for faster reinstall of the OS when necessary. Thank you

10 is the limit but I'd still use the connector and ignore the warnings abot computer X not having a recent backup.

To have the laptops backed up by WHS2011 Client Backup you will have to install the Connector on each one. Installing the Connector isn't exactly joining a computer to a server. At least, not like joining a Domain. You can use another backup program and send the backup files to the server, but that would still require the installation of a program on the clients.

Perhaps your best option might be to use Windows Image Backup, if all you want is a one-off backup of each laptop. It comes with Windows, so it's free, and it can back up to a network location, at least from Win7 onward (I'm not sure about XP or Vista).

• Like 1

I will use Windows Image Backup and save it in my WHS until need it. Thanks for the help.

Its in there but Microsoft has done its best to hide it in 8.1.    The metro interface is maddening enough but what takes the cake is MS hiding functionality that we have come to rely on -   Like Libraries , screen gadgets  etc.

you have to open up "file history"  in control panel -  then its a small option in the lower left

Works well.   Just tested backup /restore with the 8.1 version after my W8.1 home server was upgraded to 8.1 some time ago.

Suggest you create a new  "boot up recovery disk"  for windows 8.1.   The Recovery USB stick I built for windows 8 might work but why take the chance..

I have three daughters with laptops - and they are rarely at home to sync.   

My backup plan for those machines  is to create a "as received" backup image,  followed some time later by a "running backup image"  those are duplicated on my server and offsite.

As for their data -   I give them additional onedrive storage for Christmas and tell them that if it doesn't exist on onedrive, then I dont want to hear about it if they lose it. 

Once they started using onedrive for this -  they loved it.   What is amazing to them is getting a new laptop  and having all their stuff show up on it.  "Magic"

• Like 1

Yes, I can confirm that Windows Image Backup is still in Windows 8.1 (I checked before posting the 1st message). And, as Al Borges states, it is a little hard to locate, not only because MS buried it under File History, but also because it has an odd name: sdclt.exe. It's located in Windows/System32. You can make a shortcut to it on the Desktop, or some other convenient place, to make it easier to run. The only catch is you need to set the shortcut to Run As Administrator.