RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

os and new motherboard

easypc

Would i need to buy a new homeserver os if i take apart my current server to put a new motherboard,cpu,ram or can i still use the same one.

Edited by easypc

Guest no-control

As long as you only use it on 1 server at a time you're fine.

If you want to look into the finer details you could always read the EULA

I am no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. but my understanding is that License is for only one machine at a time, so if you take it off the one machine, part that machine out for whatever is needed for the new build and install your WHS software using your License Key you should be well within the EULA.

If I remember correctly, there are some OEM copies of OSes that are tied to the motherboard. In those cases you can contact MS and tell them the old motherboard died and you needed to replace it and they will give you a new key.

I am no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. but my understanding is that License is for only one machine at a time, so if you take it off the one machine, part that machine out for whatever is needed for the new build and install your WHS software using your License Key you should be well within the EULA.

Do you stay at a Holiday In Express last night? ;-)

I would follow cskenney's advice and say the old mobo died. Upgrading to a new mobo will to MS anyway mean you have a new machine so need a new OS license.

By the letter of the EULA and because WHS is an OEM only version. Once you install the OS it is "married" to that machine and cannot be moved from one machine to another regardless if you uninstall it first. Now having said all of that, yes you can replace all of the parts or even build a new PC and then call MS and they most likely will activate the OS again for you. MS is very good about this and I've never had them turn me down. As already stated just tell them the motherboard died and you had to rebuild the system and that it is only in use on that machine.

fasthair

I migrated my OEM WHS v1 from a really old box to a newer old box a couple of years ago. It just worked. No calling MS. The only hardware items moved into the "new" box were the hard drives.

Once you install the OS it is "married" to that machine and cannot be moved from one machine to another regardless if you uninstall it first.

Yep, and that's why full retail costs so much more. It's not married to one machine for life. The one restriction is only one machine at a time.