RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE12R2 hangs on shutdown/restart

Have Hyper-V enabled on WSE12R2 with 2 NICs.  Only NIC #1 used by the OS with Anywhere Access/VPN enabled.  NIC #2 is dedicated to Hyper-V and not being managed by the OS.  System runs fine except when I need to shutdown/restart, it just hangs.  I'm forced to hold power button in to do a hard shutdown of the system.  Has anyone else experienced this?

jmwills

If you let it restart, without these drastic measures, how long does it take?  And why are you rebooting the server?

I rarely restart it. Though I came home recently after a storm and found server off, UPS recharging. When I powered box back on, appeared it hadn't completed a graceful shutdown. I then waited until UPS fully recharged and simulated a power outage. WSE12R2 triggered the expected shutdown almost immediately based on my power scheme, but the server sat at the shutting down screen. Ultimately UPS depleted power and server blacked out. Today I had to shutdown because a server back up was hung - a freak occurrence. Observed same behavior.

jmwills

Have you tried restoring the server to a point before all this happened?  I run about 9 VM's on my 2012 box with 5 NIC's.  2 minutes to reboot.

Now, there used to be a setting in 2008R2 where the server would try and clear the temp cache before rebooting but I always thought that was a stupid setting.  The reboot will clear that cache.

Good question. Never tried that. Will do and echo back. Appreciate the suggestion.

EDIT: I checked my VMs. Each is set to Automatic Stop Action of Save the virtual machine state. Instead of turn off VM

Or shutdown the guest operating system. Does this matter?

Edited by Jason

The main reason for suggesting you shut down the VMs and then try to restart is to see if one or more of the VMs is causing issues that are preventing a quicker restart.

Great suggestion.  I shutdown both of my guest VMs before triggering a host OS shutdown.  As a result, the server shutdown in 30 sec!!  Oddly enough, I watch it immediately power itself back on 2-3 seconds later.

If I set in the Gigabyte server BIOS under power management - restore on AC power to ALWAYS OFF, it will shutdown and wait for approx 00m30s before powering itself back up.  Options are Always Off, Always On, or Memory.  When set to Memory, it shuts down then powers back up in 2-3 00m03s.  Strange!

Am looking to see if perhaps this is somehow relayed to the Cyberpower UPS?

Edited by Jason

OK, well, one thing at a time. Try shutting down only 1 VM and see what happens. If it shuts down OK, try the other VM. Let's see if it can be narrowed down to 1 VM or if it's something about both of them trying to shut down at the same time.

Thanks. System appears to be resolved. With one VM set to Save and the other to shutdown, my server shutdown in approx 60 sec or less.

The issue with BIOS powering the box back on from a powered off (not sleep) state was due to an APM setting called "ErP" not being enabled. Once enabled, the issue seems to go away.