RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L with Startech SATSAS225ODD (2xSSD and OD)

AdrianLodge

I've had an N40L running WHS2011 for some time.

I've just added a Startech SATSAS225ODD with an SSD and Optical drive. The optical drive is detected, but the SSD isn't, either in BIOS or Windows.

I have connected the Startech to the SATA port on the motherboard - is that sufficient, or do I need to use an SAS connector (if so, where do I connect it to)?

This may be related, or may be a separate issue - I have upgraded the BIOS, but my 4 SATA drives will only work in IDE mode. If I change them in the BIOS to AHCI, windows starts to boot, but then fails and reboots, in a loop. Do I need to have my drives in AHCI mode? Can I have my drives in AHCI mode (without reinstalling OS)?

Feel free to ask any me questions or make any suggestions, no matter how basic.

thanks for any help you can give.

The SATA connection on the back is for the ODD. The SFF-8087 connection is for the two drive bays. You need to connect to the SFF-8087 for the SSD to be seen by the system. You will need to add a storage controller of some type to give you more ports. 

How are your disks currently configured? Software RAID? Drive pool?

I've been searching for a solution all day and come to the same conclusion.

Any recommendations on how to connect the SFF-8087? Is there any way to hang it off the onboard SAS, or do I need to buy some sort of PCIe card?

Four SATA HDD drives configured as 2 RAID arrays using WHS2011.

thanks for your help

You could get a 2 port SATA card and a 'fan in' SFF-8087 cable, but I am not sure how that will work with the existing SATA ports.

You mention that you have upgraded the BIOS, is it a HP BIOS or one of the modified versions?

The IBM M1015 is a popular card for just running 8 SATA ports. You could run the 4 internal bays on one of its ports and the 2 in the Startech on the other.

I assume you are planning to re-install the OS on the SSD?

As I understand it, the Startech device needs one SAS connector to connect to its built-in backplane / controller that takes the two SSD drives. Therefore I assume I need some sort of SAS card, rather than SATA card. Or, would the two SATA ports that you suggest combine with a cable to make a SAS connector?

The BIOS is one of the modified ones.

The plan was to copy over the OS to mirrored SSDs in the Startech device, rather than reinstall. Probably easier said than done, but I'd rather do this than reinstall everything.

thanks

You only need a SAS card if you are running SAS drives.

That said, SAS cards are a good choice because they tend to come with SFF-8087 port, which would make cabling easy. Plus SAS is backwards compatible to SATA.

So, to connect the SAS port on the Startech, the answer is either a SAS card with SAS to SAS cable, or a dual SATA card with 2 SATA to one SAS cable?

The first solutions sounds like overkill, the second solutions sounds good - but would it work?

Is anyone able to confirm that its possible to use a Y cable to connect from a SATA card to a SAS port?

thanks

So, to connect the SAS port on the Startech, the answer is either a SAS card with SAS to SAS cable, or a dual SATA card with 2 SATA to one SAS cable?

The first solutions sounds like overkill, the second solutions sounds good - but would it work?

Is anyone able to confirm that its possible to use a Y cable to connect from a SATA card to a SAS port?

thanks

Yes it works. You just need to find the right cable. Most of these kind of cables are fan out/break out. You will need a fan in/reverse break out cable.

Startech makes a two port card that may work for you. PEXSAT32