RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

WD 2TB Drives $109 @ Dell Home

mrossco

I had a hard time telling of these were 7200 or 5400 RPM drives, however they are the new Green Drives.

Good deal! Thinking about getting 3 plus an HP StorageWorks X510. I maintain a website for a local photographer, and he's been using is web hoster to archive all of his photos. Hopoing he can use the StorageWorks instead.

These are the WD20EARS drives. The drives are variable speed, which is why a spindle RPM rate is not advertised. Supposedly, the drive automatically speeds up and down based on access patterns...

jmwills

Well, duh on me. I presume that's why they call them "green drives'. I hope they hit the sub $100 mark by Labor Day.

geek-accountant

I went into Microcenter today to pick up a 1.5TB drive and they had a Seagate 5400rpm drive for $100. The drive was the OEM version which means it didn't come with any hardware.

Mike

jmwills

You are going to format the disk and initialize it automatically, so that's not an issue. $100...here we come!!

dvn

@jmwills - Thanks for the heads up. This is a great deal. I have 2 on the way.

dvn

Good deal! Thinking about getting 3 plus an HP StorageWorks X510. I maintain a website for a local photographer, and he's been using is web hoster to archive all of his photos. Hopoing he can use the StorageWorks instead.

@mrossco - What's the difference between this and the EX495? Same hardware, I know. But there must be something different besides the name?

cskenney

@mrossco - What's the difference between this and the EX495? Same hardware, I know. But there must be something different besides the name?

3 year warranty seems to be the only difference.

dvn

3 year warranty seems to be the only difference.

I see. I just checked HP site and see a 3-year parts warranty. Newegg has it as 1 year. Probably a misprint...

diehard

An other option to consider is depending on where you live. Not sure on mrossco, but some places it the UK do not have the EX495 avaiable and since the EX490 and X510 are, and the EX490 is a single core machine, the equivelent box to the EX495 is the X510.

Hey, this is a moderator chat.hehe.