RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

In-car Entertainment

oj88

I spend roughly 3 hours a day driving to and from work so that's about 20% of the time I'm awake. A necessary evil and although it's just a 16-km (10-mi) drive, the traffic makes it seem significantly farther.

To keep myself entertained, I've purpose-built my in-car entertainment around a Kenwood multimedia head unit (DDX8034BT). Media sources consists of an iPod Classic 120GB for music and podcasts while a 500GB USB HDD hosts all videos (movies, TV shows). That's on top of the radio, DVD, bluetooth and SD card sources (which I seldom use). The iPod and HDD are always in the glove box and I only take them out to put in new content.

Here's listening to HSS Podcast #262

DSC_0232_zpsqqjecnjv.jpg

If I do watch videos, they're usually sitcoms like Frasier, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, etc. Sitcoms are more talk than visuals so I really don't have to look at the screen while driving to understand what the story is about. In the interest of safety, I only watch when I'm fully stopped. I also have materials for the kids for those trips out of town.

How do you guys keep yourselves entertained?

Very cool!  I like how the forum is not just storage tech but all kinds of tech stuff!  Nice job.

wow, that traffic is horrible. I could almost ride a bike faster than that. your indash unit does look great however.

Wow -- 1.5hrs for a 16km trip!  You've probably gone thru Dave, Mike, & Jim's entire podcast library's several times!!!

For long trips I'm still using my iPod for music and if it's just me traveling then music and podcasts too.  My wife also surfs the net with her Windows Phone and plays videos on it during our trips.

You could just about walk that fast.  I would go absolutely insane with that kind of commute.

Nice setup. Can't say as I'm a big supporter of having video capability in the front seat, despite your attention to safety. I also think you could be a lot better off using a bicycle. It's not hard to ride a bike at 20KM/H, so you could easily shorten your commute. If you can ride at 30KM/H you could cut your commute time in half.

Lol! FWIW, I rode a bike from 2000 to 2008. Had three, a Honda V-twin and two scooters. But a promotion and two kids later, I decided I can't meet people smelling like sweat and Diesel fumes. My wife also kinda talked me out of it, at least for the daily commute as she thinks it's not safe. Not to mention that when it rains, it's just pure hell to device ways not to ruin my work clothes, this being a tropical country and all.

Anyway, I may have exaggerated it a bit... 1.5 hours is leaning towards the worst case. Typically, a trip just takes about an hour. On weekends, around 30-45 mins. But starting about a month ago, they started tearing down the road to effect repairs, thus taking me up to 1.5 hrs to get to and from the office. It's really hurting my fuel economy too. But it's a "it gets worse before it gets better" kind of deal so it's not the end of the world.

On HSS podcasts, I've only started listening to them just this past week and so far, have only gone through 3 or 4. The quip about using crayons to draw HSS T-shirts cracked me up. You guys have no idea.. :D I use Sharpies. hehehe j/k

The Kenwood HU also has navigation and OTA TV receiver features. These outboard modules are stowed under the front passenger seat.

ab21af77.jpg

Other tech stuff I have in the car; An UltraGauge (www.ultra-gauge.com/) that plugs into the car's OBDII port and a dashcam/DVR (not shown), mounted just besides the rear-view mirror.

UltraGauge on the left A/C vent.

9f303a09.jpg

I hope this isn't over the top. I just love anything tech. It's an affliction I guess.

Why stop at home? ;)

It's an affliction that I share :) 

I enjoy reading about (and seeing the pictures) your system -- Any additional info is always appreciated!  :)

Very nice. I also ride my bike (motorcycle) to work most days. Have a Bluetooth headset/intercom system in helmet I use to listen to podcasts. Fortunately my stock vehicle head units come with Bluetooth and video inputs so when driving I they sync and start playing. Nothing as nice as your aftermarket of course.